Firefox Crashes

Hi
My problem is every time I try to play the Apple Movie Trailers using Mplayer, Firefox crashes, does any one have any ideas?
Regards Jim

So
Know one else has this problem? strange as it happens on both my laptop and my desktop.
O well! I will have to keep struggling with the problem myself.
A disapointed Jim

Yes, I have the same problem on a fresh install of OpenSuse 11.1-x64 including updates (up to 18-01-09) and have not found a solution to it. The same problem with the 32 bit version. I am using the latest Mplayer and its browser plugin from Packman repository. I do not have the same issue with other streams though.

Hi
Thank for posting, now a least I know I am not the only one with this problem.
Regards Jim

Hi
I have found that if you install kaffeine-mozilla the apple trailers will open in kaffeine, with out Firefox crashing.
Hope this helps.
Regards Jim

My installation of Firefox only crashes when on the Apple website regardless which plugin is used to view their movies. However, I can confirm that it is not the mplayer plugin as Quicktime movies do play on my installation ref Quicktime HD Trailers.

The problem seems to be in how Firefox reacts to the Apple programming on their website. Unfortunately I do not know what they use to get the movies to play in the little black box? :\

This is the error message I got after a Firefox crash when attempting to view an Apple trailer. I launched Firefox from the terminal to get the message,

@linux-leoq:~> firefox
*** nss-shared-helper: Shared database disabled (set NSS_USE_SHARED_DB to enable).
ADDED URL: push-tlr1_h320.mov
code: 18
speed -1
/usr/bin/firefox: line 126: 12510 Segmentation fault $MOZ_PROGRAM “$@”

I’d appreciate it if someone in the know would assist, Cheers:(

It’s a sort of workaround but you could install the MediaPlayerConnectivity Fx addon:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/446
Set quicktime videos to vlc WFM

Thanks for the info on the firefox addon. However I’m keen to keep things simple with the view less is more… although I may not have an alternative if this bug persists :frowning:

Despite the Java updates this week Firefox still crashes for me. I have deleted Java 1.6 and installed Java 1.5 and yet the issue of Firefox crashing remains.

Would someone with Opensuse 11.1 running Firefox 3.05 and is not crashing on Apple.com/trailers; I’d like to know your Java script settings in Firefox please.

Thank you :wink:

Having a similar problem. openSUSE 11.1 x86_64.

Same thing for me.

11.1 - 32bit

Same problem with me! Firefox crashes.
openSUSE 11.1, 32 bit, KDE 4.1.3.x

Could any of the multimedia guru please solve the problem listed in this thread?
This definitely has a solution. i mean being able to run a movie trailer in an OS is quite significant and openSUSE 11.1 could not have gone final with such a deficiency.
Thanks in advance!

Same here. Using Suse 11.1, KDE 4.2, Firefox 3.0.7, 2.6.27.19-3.2-default 64 bit.

I’d be curious if you are using the 1.4 Mesa 7.2 driver or earlier for an Intel graphics card i.e.965GM? I think the issue may be related :\

Here is what I use:
Mesa DRI Intel(R) 945GM 20080716 x86/MMX/SSE2
Driver: 1.4 Mesa 7.2

I have since upgraded to KDE 4.2.2 but the problem still remains.
Have you come up with any solution yet?
Thanks!

Arch Linux Forums / Firefox Crashes when Streaming Quicktime

I got this information off another web site. Maybe this will help. It seems a lot of people are having the same problem. I will try a Quick Time trailer tonight in my new install of SUSE 64 and see if I have the same problem.:expressionless:

> Have you come up with any solution yet?

if you want a system that plays quicktime consistantly: stop using
bleeding edge software is a possible solution…

the below “just works” on openSUSE 10.3 with KDE3.5.x:

http://www.americangirl.com/tips/test/quicktime.html

and, we can all hope it ‘just works’ in 11.2 with KDE4.3 or
whatever…if not, i’ll probably be on GNOME, again…

Andy Sipowicz

I’m running openSUSE 11.1 x86_64 (64-bit) with Firefox 3.5.2. Here’s what worked for me. I used zypper to do this: “zypper in <package>” to install and “zypper rm <package>” to remove.

1. Remove kaffeine-mozilla
  2. Remove mplayerplug-in
  3. Install gecko-mediaplayer (mplayerplug-in is depreciated)

It stopped crashing at least.

To play QuickTime movies from Apple, you may need to do the steps listed here:

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5942287.html#5942287