Firefox Crashes on Startup.

I just got back to my computer and found that Firefox no longer starts up. I was running 3.0.6. I get the following from the command line:

zak89:~> firefox

(firefox:6114): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'QtEngineRcStyle'.

(firefox:6114): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'QtEngineStyle'.

(firefox:6114): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed
/usr/bin/firefox: line 126:  6114 Segmentation fault      $MOZ_PROGRAM "$@"

I tried downgrading to 3.0.5, which resulted in a message about an incompatible “GRE”.

Anyone know what’s wrong?

just remove then reinstall firefox and if it still doesnt work…find out the xulrunner version then paste it in application.ini file from the firefox folder.

xulrunner --gre-version
then edit /usr/lib/firefox/application.ini and search for gecko
replace min and max value with the value optained from the xulrunner --gre-version command

Okay, I downgraded to 3.0.5, and ran firefox:

Could not find compatible GRE between version 1.9.0.5 and 1.9.0.5.

zak89:~> xulrunner --gre-version

I then edited /usr/lib64/firefox/application.ini to read:

[Gecko]
MinVersion=1.9.0.6
MaxVersion=1.9.0.6

After which, I got the same error as before:

(firefox:6114): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'QtEngineRcStyle'.

(firefox:6114): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: Two different plugins tried to register 'QtEngineStyle'.

(firefox:6114): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed
/usr/bin/firefox: line 126:  6114 Segmentation fault      $MOZ_PROGRAM "$@"

Just before someone tells me, I already removed my .mozilla directory.

Got a similar problem here (opensuse 11.1). Running firefox in Konsole gives:

/usr/bin/firefox: line 126: 9722 Segmentation fault $MOZ_PROGRAM “$@”

Also no gtk app seems to run under KDE 4.2.2 here. I tried Dia, nvidia-settings and firefox, all resulting in a segmentation fault. Surprisingly all of them work if I log in to the failsafe session. Might it be a problem coming with the KDE 4.2.2 packages?

Please uninstall kde4-gtk-qt-engine and use kde4-kcm_gtk instead.

This fix is ok. Working.

/usr/bin/firefox: line 126: 15808 Segmentation fault $MOZ_PROGRAM “$@”

I have:

1. deleted the .mozilla directory*]reinstalled Firefox 3.5
  2. kde4-kcm_gtk is already installed

running this command:

firefox -g -d gdb

results in this backtrace:

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
0xb4f92a19 in ?? () from /usr/lib/firefox/components/libimgicon.so

Any help much appreciated. As an earlier poster put it, these sorts of things makes Linux frustrating. At least under Windoz the thing just worked.

Delete all gtk configuration files in your home directory. It should resolve the issue.

$rm ~/.gtk*

kukibl, I tried that also. There was only one directory with .gtk

Still no difference.

Interestingly, if Firefox crashes with the segmentation fault. I can start it in -safe-mode.

Then if I quit and restart Firefox normally, it works.

Suggestions?

No one has a clue do they? Typical, delete said directory in home directory and reinstall all will be fine.

Not the case. There is a bug in the XULrunner, and Mozilla seem t be disinterested.