Firefox and Flash

I just installed openSUSE v11 and am using Firefox, but I’m having a problem getting it to use Flash player. When I open a website which requires Flash, I install it and restart Firefox, but it doesn’t recognize it. I’ve done this several times and have even rebooted but it still doesn’t work.

Please help… Gary

BTW… I’m totally new to Linux.

Try installing the flash player manually. Follow these steps:

1. Log in as root
  2. Browse to the Adobe web site at Adobe
  3. Look for the button (or link) with ‘Adobe Flash Player’
  4. Download the .rpm file
  5. Move the .rpm file to root’s home folder
  6. Open a terminal window
  7. At the prompt type: rpm -Uvh filename.rpm (replace filename with actual name of the rpm file). The U option is for update/install. The v option is for verbose mode. The h option displays hash symbols (#) as a progress indicator.
  8. When finished, reboot.

Hope this helps.

1. Never log in to a graphical interface as root. SDB:Login as root - openSUSE
    The installer will ask for your root password.
    Do the previously described steps in your /home/<yourUsername>/ directory!
    After opening a terminal window (step 6.) just type:

su

this will ask for your root password. After install the package (7. step).
Good luck.

When the flash contents are absent the bowser tells you that “This Page requires additional plugin”. Just follow the browser’s steps. it’ll install the flash-plugin to your browser. (But I think during installation your configuration was not done properly, OpenSuse11 has flash plugin in it.:P) Logging in as root is not dangerous (i always login as root) but can be for you bcoz it seems u’re new to linux.:slight_smile: