finally loads the GUI and log in screen but that's it

Hello,

I’m building an appliance via SUSE Studio. I’ve run the live CD iso in virtualbox. I have also burned the iso to DVD and ran it directly on my laptop. Both methods gave the same results, so I know it’s not a virtualbox or computer issue.

It took three separate builds just to (finally) get it to load the GUI and get to the log in screen. I have linked to an image (below) so you can see what I see. The appliance just freezes with no mouse or tab response and the font (or lack there of I should say) on the user name and password fields are all little square zeros.

Here’s an image: Dev Help (anyone) - Building an appliance via SUSE Studio - F… on Twitpic

Just thought this same thing may have happened to someone. Thanks, Tim…

That looks like there isn’t an appropriate character set ie: no local characterset to refer to … just a guess

Hi Tim,

On 09/30/2010 10:06 PM, tvalentine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I’m building an appliance via SUSE Studio. I’ve run the live CD iso in
> virtualbox. I have also burned the iso to DVD and ran it directly on my
> laptop. Both methods gave the same results, so I know it’s not a
> virtualbox or computer issue.
>
> It took three separate builds just to (finally) get it to load the GUI
> and get to the log in screen. I have linked to an image (below) so you
> can see what I see. The appliance just freezes with no mouse or tab
> response and the font (or lack there of I should say) on the user name
> and password fields are all little square zeros.
>
> Here’s an image: ‘Dev Help (anyone) - Building an appliance via SUSE
> Studio - F… on Twitpic’ (http://twitpic.com/2teqdi)
>
> Just thought this same thing may have happened to someone. Thanks,
> Tim…

Indeed it did recently happen to someone else:

http://listx.novell.com/pipermail/studio-users/2010-September/001902.html

According to that thread, it’s a bug in Pango (GTK font renderer) and
adding the GNOME Factory 11.3 repo fixed the problem, at least for that
case.

Try if that works for you too?

Cheers,
James T.

I’m not able to check right now but I think there was an error shown in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log in regard to “no local characterset to refer to” in the /var/log/Xorg.0.log. I thought I fixed it but I’ll check later and post back.

Re: jatan11 – I hope it will be that easy for me as well. I’ll give it a try later in the day or tomorrow and post back with the results. I had font errors and also tried adding most font options to fix the problem. I never would have discovered this on my own. Thanks so much…

Added the GNOME Factory 11.3 repo and it caused a few conflicts while building that I didn’t feel like dealing with at the time. I can think of easier ways to accomplish what I’m trying to do.

Thank you though, over and out…

OK I was frustrated that day. I did add the ‘GNOME Factory 11.3 repo’ and it did fix the problem. I just went through the conflicts adding the repo caused to the existing build and all is well. So if this happens to someone else you will know what to do - 1. Add the GNOME Factory 11.3 repo 2. Fix conflicts (if any) 3. Rebuild your appliance.

Thank you, Tim…