filesystem error

My father has been dual booting windows xp and opensuse fairly painlessly for a while now, today he went to go on the computer and got an error saying

fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. The root file system is currently mounted read-only. To remount it do : bash# mount -n -o remount,rw /
Attention: Only control-D will reboot the system in this maintanance mode. shutdown or reboot will not work.
Give root password for login:
(repair filesystem) #’

I tried doing what it says with no luck. I tried searching around and i thought i read run chkdsk in windows. I did with no luck. Hopefully i could get some help asap.

Thanks

Like I said in another thread
Get parted magic and use the partition manager to check your linux partitions

what do you mean by check the linux partitions?

There is a facility to check the partitions with the Partition manager

I’m gong to show you a image but it’s for a different guide I wrote, but just look above the part it’s pointing to (it’s about labels) but just above it do you see 'check
http://www.su2root.ukfsn.org/files/Partition%20Labels/label1.jpeg

Select your root and home partitions and click check, then ‘Apply’

I did that, said nothing about errors but its working now. However while looking at my partitions. something was not right. I had a windows and a reserved spot. then a linux swap and two linux ext4 partitions ??? I don’t know how that happened. I also had a gig or so of unallocated space. I don’t know how i got two ext4 primary partitions both have used space. Another question… If i updated opensuse, would i be able to use up all that space so i have essentially just a linux swap and windows partitions without losing data?

Typically openSUSE will have
swap
/ (root) ext4
/home ext4

It’s not unusual for partitioning to be messy, especially when users are inexperienced.
If you press the PrtSc button on your keyboard you might be able to save a picture and show us ( you may have to save the image to a flash drive or something )

You can update SUSE and keep /home as it is (my guess is you have a separate /home) hence the 2 ext4 partitions

Not sure what a reserve spot is?

It is normal to have 2 ext4 partitions one is for root and one is for home. Though you can have many possible schemes. What are you using to look at the partitions? Windows in notorious for not showing things that are not Windows.

You need to show us your current scheme, Easist is to go to the command line (console) become root (su -) then fdisk -l (that is a lower case L not a one). Highlight the result and use the edit menu to copy the text and paste her between code blocks. Use the advanced editor function.

On 2011-07-04 06:36, tadcrazio wrote:
>
> My father has been dual booting windows xp and opensuse fairly
> painlessly for a while now, today he went to go on the computer and got
> an error saying
>
> fsck failed. Please repair manually and reboot. The root file system is

Before that text is the output of the errors found or things done, which is
a clue for what to do now.

> currently mounted read-only. To remount it do : bash# mount -n -o
> remount,rw /
> Attention: Only control-D will reboot the system in this maintanance
> mode. shutdown or reboot will not work.
> Give root password for login:
> (repair filesystem) #’
>
> I tried doing what it says with no luck.

That means you did fsck? How exactly? Or did you do some thing else?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

I don’t think he ran the fsck himself mate

I’ve come across this before when the system found problems that stop it booting so it attempts to run fsck with ‘automatic repair’ options then drops you into the ‘repair shell’ that he saw if/when it fails

At that point he could have ran something like fsk.ext4 -f -y /dev/device on his partitions, there have been occasions when that didn’t work for me but most of the times I came across it the system booted ok after the ‘manual’ fsck

The occasion that stands out in my memory when it didn’t work was when the hdd was actually failing and needed to be replaced

On 2011-07-04 15:36, Ecky wrote:
>
> robin_listas;2361042 Wrote:
>>
>> That means you did fsck? How exactly? Or did you do some thing else?
>>
>
> I don’t think he ran the fsck himself mate

Me neither :slight_smile:

I know that screen is confusing, the text before it has to be examined for
clues. Sometimes it is an fstab with a misplaced letter that causes a
syntax error - nothing an fsck will repair.

The first time you find it you usually do a reboot or a ctrl-D - which
seldom solves anything at all. It is a confusing screen, I know.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

The few times I got it, if fsck didn’t fix it and there was no physical problem with the drives I decided it was probably quicker to just do a reinstall … but them I’m an impatient git on times