File downloads fail

This is a carryover problem from 11.4(64 bit)

When I first installed opensuse 11.4some of the updates would fail while downloading. I had to boot under failsafe to complete the downloads.

If I tried to download a file from anywhere I would sometimes have this happen. the file would start to download and then fail sometimes at 98%(this would happen using firefox chrome zypper yast etc)

Now I updated my system to opensuse 12.1(4 bit) and I’m having the same issue. When I try to for example download the nvidia driver it gets about 78% and then fails.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 22:06:03 +0000, Trollicus wrote:

> This is a carryover problem from 11.4(64 bit)
>
> When I first installed opensuse 11.4some of the updates would fail while
> downloading. I had to boot under failsafe to complete the downloads.
>
> If I tried to download a file from anywhere I would sometimes have this
> happen. the file would start to download and then fail sometimes at
> 98%(this would happen using firefox chrome zypper yast etc)
>
> Now I updated my system to opensuse 12.1(4 bit) and I’m having the same
> issue. When I try to for example download the nvidia driver it gets
> about 78% and then fails.

How does it fail? Do you get an error message, or does it just abort?

Given two different versions, the first thing I’d suspect is something
outside the box - a flaky router or 'net connection could cause something
like this.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

well, as I’m on a different system on the same network I don’t think a network issue is the problem.
I have also changed net cards, no change.

Right now I’m running yast on the bad system and trying to dl glibc from the opensuse devel server, it gets to 85% and fails(just stops the d/l rate goes fro 170 kbs to 0 )

Files also fail to D/L in other applications (like Firefox) the files will start to d/ get halfway or even 90% and then stop. Other files will complete. It doesn’t matter the location I’m D/L from I might D/L 8 files from the same location and have 3 fail. the ones that fail cannot be downloaded even if I try again.

I upgraded from 11.4 to 12.1 by booting from the dvd and running install, I formatted my root partition and kept my home partition.

Is there some service that fails to start?

Thank you for your help, it’s been months and I’m getting really frustrated. Google hasn’t been helpfull as I havene’t found anyone else with this issue.

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 22:36:02 +0000, Trollicus wrote:

> Files also fail to D/L in other applications (like Firefox) the files
> will start to d/ get halfway or even 90% and then stop. Other files
> will complete. It doesn’t matter the location I’m D/L from I might D/L 8
> files from the same location and have 3 fail. the ones that fail cannot
> be downloaded even if I try again.
>
> I upgraded from 11.4 to 12.1 by booting from the dvd and running
> install, I formatted my root partition and kept my home partition.
>
> Is there some service that fails to start?
>
> Thank you for your help, it’s been months and I’m getting really
> frustrated. Google hasn’t been helpfull as I havene’t found anyone else
> with this issue.

What’s the hardware you’re using?

Have you disabled IPv6 (or is your network using IPv6?)?

What happens if you try as a different user on the same system?

Jim

Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

doesn’t matter what user (even root) I disabled IP 6.

hardware

Intel core 2 duo 2.66
8 GB DDR3
760GB WD SATA
Nvidia 8800gtx 512 mb
Obboard HDMI audio
3com 3c509 ethernet

just tried root without x

download of glibc fails(i know I can access it on this system same network)

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 23:26:02 +0000, Trollicus wrote:

> just tried root without x
>
> download of glibc fails(i know I can access it on this system same
> network)

What did you use to download it? If you resume the download (say, for
example, with aria2c), does it resume properly?

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

NO if a DL fails there is nothing I can do to get it to finish. Re-satrting and it will just fail again(not always in the same place 50% 22% 85% etc)

also I can use a web browser just fine(odd)

But if I click on a DL it may fail (or may not)

At this point I’m going to do a complete re-install (re-partition and format everything clean) and try again.

Thanks for your help. I’ll post again If the problem persists.

On 2012-01-11 01:26, Trollicus wrote:
> At this point I’m going to do a complete re-install (re-partition and
> format everything clean) and try again.

Don’t do that yet. Answer my question first.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On 2012-01-10 23:06, Trollicus wrote:

> If I tried to download a file from anywhere I would sometimes have this
> happen. the file would start to download and then fail sometimes at
> 98%(this would happen using firefox chrome zypper yast etc)

Is your network card a 3C905CX-TX/TM Fast ethernet link (3c59x driver)?
If it is, look at #bnc688454


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 00:06:02 +0000, Trollicus wrote:

> NO if a DL fails there is nothing I can do to get it to finish.
> Re-satrting and it will just fail again(not always in the same place 50%
> 22% 85% etc)

I’d just note that I didn’t say re-starting it, but resuming it. You’ll
need to use a download manager to do that, but it should actually
resume the download.

Carlos asks a very relevant question, though - I’d forgotten that there
are some 3Com cards that have a faulty driver.

Jim


Jim Henderson
openSUSE Forums Administrator
Forum Use Terms & Conditions at http://tinyurl.com/openSUSE-T-C

On 2012-01-11 07:02, Jim Henderson wrote:
> Carlos asks a very relevant question, though - I’d forgotten that there
> are some 3Com cards that have a faulty driver.

It is difficult I forget it, I was very involved in the discovery :slight_smile:


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)