Fglrx with Mobile Radeon 3450

Hi there!

I’m trying to get things working on my MSI EX300, and one of the things that doesn’t work entirely are the proprietary ATi drivers. When I install the fglrx and try tu run xserver the screen goes black, distorted with some horizontal lines consisting of some gibberish which seems to be some portions of framebuffer (ie. some console output. only that it’s green in black stripes, and repeats like 5 times). When i try to switch to a console (ctrl+alt+F2) the computer is trying to convince me that he’s actually a broken TV which doesn’t recive any signal (shows some random B&W noise):stuck_out_tongue: And of course it hangs completely then. I’m using x86_64 version of openSUSE 11.0 if it helps.

Did you configure the X server control file for fglrx? -

sudo aticonfig --initial

or

sudo sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx

after booting into runlevel 3, then rebooting?

Sax may give you helpful error messages. You can also check the X server log at /var/log/Xorg.0.log - for this, best to boot into runlevel 3, login as user, then do startx; after it fails, then immediately go the the Xorg log.

Yes, I tried both, and both give me the same result.

Also Sax gives me no error messages.

And the X log?

Hmm, the only thing that looks suspicious is:
(EE) fglrx(0): XMM failed to open CMMQS connection.
(II) fglrx(0): XMM failed to initialize!

If you are trying to install the driver from the ATI site, did you install the dependencies as described in the installer instructions linked to on the download page?

As mingus725 mentioned, the /var/log/Xorg.0.log will probably yield clues. You could copy the file (as regular user) with

cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log ~/Desktop/log.txt

Then change to vesa driver with sax2 (at runlevel 3). That will get you graphical desktop. Then you can post here.

If you get no joy with fglrx driver, try the opensoure radeonhd driver instead:

sax2 -r -m 0=radeonhd

HCL/ATI Video Cards - openSUSE

Good luck.

I seem to recall another user having a problem with the driver because the wrong resolution and refresh rate were configured. Why don’t you post back the contents of /etc/X11/xorg.conf:

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf

No, no, I think refresh rates are fine since the radeonhd driver is working fine (well at least it manages do display my desktop, that’s an advance!). The weird think is - i do not have gcc. So why the ATi driver installer finished installation without any errors/warnings? I don’t seem to have a kernel module installed, so grats to the makers of this installer. I’m glad that we have a click-and-go installer, but it would be much better if it would actaully work. I’m installing gcc now, let’s see what happens.

You are correct, there are no warnings for missing dependencies with the ATI driver. Though I believe the Nvidia driver will halt if something is missing.

The uninstall command is listed in the instructions. You have to have to CD to the uninstaller, unfortunately, but it works and you don’t have to exit the x-server.

gcc is the c compiler. It and other software is required if you are compililng the driver. Installing from the repo is installing an already compiled binary, it does not need the compiler.

If you have had some success with the radeon driver, then the xorg.conf file was changed. You can’t presume that the xorg.conf being used with fglrx is configured identically, and in fact, when sax calls the profile for that driver it will, depending on the specific driver, make a number of changes to the file.

Remembering a bit more from that other user’s experience, it was not just the refresh and resolution, but also (and this was on a netbook) the monitor dimensions. There was a mismatch between the resolution and the monitor. I still suggest you post your xorg.conf file. But before doing that, switch to the vesa driver booting into runlevel 3, logging in as user, switch to root (“su” command), and then do:

sax2 -r -m 0=vesa

Make sure there that the monitor, resolution, and refresh parameters are all correct. Save it. You may not get the native resolution for that machine with this driver. Or you can try this with the radeon driver; but again, you may need to use a different resolution. Just make sure the monitor and refresh are correct first. Then do “exit” to return to user and try “startx”. If you get a gui, open xorg.conf with a text editor as root and change the driver name in the Device section to fglrx, and log out. You’ll be back at the command line; do “startx” again.

Hm, I installed gcc, but still I don’t have a kernel module after instalation (if it’s called fglrx, modprobe -l | grep fglrx shows nothing). So i don’t know what I’m missing now :frowning:

Hm, I installed gcc, but still I don’t have a kernel module after instalation (if it’s called fglrx, modprobe -l | grep fglrx shows nothing). So i don’t know what I’m missing now

Can you post your current xorg.conf file? Have you understood what mingus has said about the binary proprietary driver?

OK, case closed. Funny thing, but the solution was in the /usr/share/ati/fglrx_install.log - the “make” was missing (sic!). Now it’s working, thanks.

Good result. For others intending install the ATI driver, it is explained in the release notes:

Modules; all installations require GCC compiler and kernel-headers or kernel-
source in order to enable 2D and 3D acceleration.
For best performance and ease of use, AMD recommends the following:
• Kernel module build environment
• Kernel source code include either the Kernel Source or Kernel Headers
packages
• The RPM utility should be installed and configured correctly on your system,
if you intend to install via RPM packages
• The following packages must be installed in order for the ATI Catalyst™
Linux driver to install and work properly:
• XFree86-Mesa-libGL
• libstdc++
• libgcc
• XFree86-libs
• fontconfig
• freetype
• zlib

Well, I’m confused. The link above states:

The ATI Catalyst™ Linux software suite no longer provides precompiled Kernel Modules; all installations require GCC compiler and kernel-headers or kernel-source in order to enable 2D and 3D acceleration.

which would seem to indicate that the driver - or at least other pieces of Catalyst besides the driver - require compilation. Yet, here ATI Installer HOWTO for SUSE/Novell users, from the SuSE site, the instructions added for 11.1 are the same as before, i.e., direct download from the ati.com repository.

Does the repo download now have compilation dependencies and what is happening now is a source or combined binary/source download which is then executed? Or what?