Fatal problems after installing 13.2

Hey guys,

I have recently installed openSUSE 13.2, apllied all the updates, installed the prprietary NVIDIA drivers, VLC, OBS and tried installing Steam (*(https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7ybrckkmzauyum/DSC_0030.JPG?dl=1)), however, when I tried to stat it, it didn’t start and when I tried to start it from the console, It gave me an error message. Then I proceeded, to try to configure my Logitech G35, with I also failed to do, then I tried installing my hp printer using HPLIP, but HPLIP froze.

I got angry and booted into Windows, but every single USB device I have failded to be recognised, then I tried to launch opensuse, but the console was stuck on the message that says, “Stating X”, which it said was OK, but after a while it restarted, without starting X.

I am clueless as to what has happened. I figured out, how to configure my printer and my headset during the reboots, but the issue of Steam and the mystery with the USB and the restarts.

Opensuse is installed on a separate HDD from Windows 7.

Thanks in advance,

Kristóf*

Well, the error on your picture is clear: you are running steam in text mode, but steam needs to be run in a graphical session. It doesn’t find the graphical display.

Did the system boot correctly after you installed the nvidia driver, or did you install all the other stuff before rebooting as well?

Probably the driver is not working and that’s why you don’t get a graphical system any more.

Try to select “Recovery Mode” (2nd entry in “Advanced Options” in the boot menu), do you get a GUI then? Would make things easier…
Or try to remove the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf if it exists, Xorg should start with a generic driver then even if nvidia is broken.

Then please post what nvidia and kernel packages you have installed:

rpm -qa | egrep "kernel|nvidia"

And it would also be helpful to know what actual graphics card(s) you have.

/sbin/lspci -nnk|egrep -iA3 "vga|3d"

Please note, that the standard nvidia driver does not work at all on so-called “Optimus” (i.e. hybrid intel and nvidia graphics) laptops.

installed the prprietary NVIDIA drivers,

what driver and how ?

as in did you use the rpm
or
the NVIDIA.run ( the NOT hard - hard way )