fan appears to run at high speed at all times

Just got a new system (Linux 3.1.9-1.4-desktop x86_64, penSUSE 12.1 (x86_64), KDE: 4.7.2 (4.7.2) “release 5”) on a Sony Vaio (Intel(R) Core™ i5-2450M) -
apart from the other 2 problems (one solved, one still active thread) I noticed that the fan runs at high speed all the time - I check the system monitor and nothing is working @ 100%; I activated the sensors and the CPU T is 40C -

any ideas?

Dimitris

Why not post a full Sony computer model number for us to look it up on the Internet? In the mean time, here are a few of things to look at:

Control CPU speed and heat on the fly: C.F.U. - CPU Frequency Utilitiy - Version 1.10 - For use with the cpufrequtils package - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Control cpu speed at boot up: YaST Power Management - Control Your CPU Energy Usage How To & FAQ - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Check for ACPI is loaded: S.K.I.M. - SuSE Kernel Installed Modules - A lsmod replacement- Creates Alphabetized Module Listing - Blogs - openSUSE Forums

Thank You,

Here is the full model number: VPCEG34FX (it is only located on the bottom of the pc and I didn’t bother to look before)
I will check the solutions you suggested and post an update - I see that are all about CPU but I believe CPU works fine (based on system monitor)

I found an interesting link on the subject here: vaiofand, fan controller | Linux tools for Sony Vaio

Thank You,

hi there,

thanks for the post - that looks like my problem; I will test the utility tool
Dimitris

For anyone wishing to compile source code in openSUSE using KDE, I suggest you do the following:

Open YaST / Software / Software Management - Select the View Button on the top left and pick Patterns. Now, you will see several Patterns listed and you want to select:

Development 

[X] Base Development
[X] Linux Kernel Development
[X] C/C++ Development

Then Press the Accept button on the bottom right and allow these applications to install. You can do the same thing in GNOME, but the procedure is slightly different.

Thank You,