Extremely High CPU usage??

I searched the forum to find any other comments on this and could not. However, I would like to ask if anyone else is experiencing Higher than normal CPU usage with openSuSE 11.4 PR?? My system, which is probably similar to others, increases the air flow with the fan on the CPU when it is working hard. Mine gets rather noisy. (don’t have it on the floor, but right next to me) This fan speed increase has been lots more prevalent in the newest version of openSuSE.

Have also used ‘top’ and it looks like xorg is one of the biggest hogs. However, when I use VMware it goes into hyper drive a lot.

Any comments or suggestions???

I was getting 100% in 11.4 without a break and it only stopped when I shut off strigi/nepomuk indexing. So I then had to install a viable search tool and chose the really excellent Recoll tool.

Thanks… I’ll give that a try. I don’t “knowingly” use nepomuk anyway.

It runs auto in KDE and supplies data for the search tool in Dolphin. I don’t think it’s installed in Gnome but can’t say for sure.

Also check in ‘top’
Because there are some issues with preload

Hello again,

Thanks to you both. Dumping strigi/nepomuk indexing has seemed to make an improvement. Still seems to be a little to active when I am using VMware -but- I need to watch and use it more.

caf, the strangest thing. I had just started my ‘top’ and then read your part of the message. I saw the high prepare use kick at the same time!!

Have fun,
Chuck

On 03/18/2011 12:36 PM, chucktr wrote:
>
> I searched the forum to find any other comments on this and could not.

ah, you need to work on your Google-Fu: http://tinyurl.com/5sk8xye

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aforums.opensuse.org+"11.4"+"high+CPU"+OR+"CPU+max*"+OR+"fan+noise"

> However, I would like to ask if anyone else is experiencing Higher than
> normal CPU usage with openSuSE 11.4 PR??

yes

> Any comments or suggestions???

yours may be a BIOS problem, or a power save problem or a problem with
the way your hardware implements the Advanced Configuration and Power
Interface (ACPI) standard…

looking through the stories of others who have similar
problems…especially those with similar hardware could be very
revealing…

you might change the search string used and just add your manufacturer
and model number to the search…you might find someone has already
solved your problem, for you…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

On Fri, 18 Mar 2011 17:06:03 +0530, chucktr
<chucktr@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:

> …I would like to ask if anyone else is experiencing Higher than
> normal CPU usage with openSuSE 11.4 PR??

strangely, yes, due to different reasons, at different times.

1. preload, which grabs a lot of CPU cycles for a short while, but
    normally lets go after a few minutes;

2. after starting GUI programs like konqueror as root, via kdesu, i often
    find an additional instance of dbus-daemon running along, using up plenty
    CPU. sometimes i’m able to pick the right one via (h)top & kill it;
    sometimes i pick the wrong one and have to logout to get things working
    properly again;

3. very recently i found kmix using one full CPU (out of 4) continuously.
    no idea what caused that; after deleting all conf. files for kmix, it
    behaves well again.

none of these problems are reproducable; they turn up now and then, and i
don’t know why. seems to have started a few days ago, but i don’t remember
any pariticular update that might have led to this. keeping a watchful eye
on my system resources and trying to figure out what’s going on…

phani.

I had 100% CPU usage on a laptop upgraded with zypper dup. Top didn’t show any processes using all the cpu but dbus and xorg were about 10% each.
Using dbus-monitor (not as root) I could see that dbus was being flooded with messages from kpackagekit.
Running kpackagekit from the command line came up with an error about libqt4-sqlite so I removed this package using yast and that cured the problem.
Maybe this might help somebody !

On 03/18/2011 05:36 PM, djlegge wrote:
>
>
> Maybe this might help somebody !

please log a bug against kpackagekit…please!!!

there are no developers here and they do not come here looking for
stuff to fix…but, they DO respond to bug reports:
http://en.opensuse.org/Submitting_Bug_Reports

especially from folks with your demonstrated system knowledge…

when you have bug number, url please post it back to here…tia

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.1.8, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

djlegge,

Did you remove kpackagekit -or- libqt4-sqlite ???

Thanks,
Chuck

Still seems to be a little to active when I am using VMware -but- I need to watch and use it more.

Well Chuck, you are running two operating systems simultaneously, it should strain a little.

When I create a DVD using the app DeVeDe my lappy works so hard the temperature soars towards 100 centigrade and I have to funnel cold air onto the base plate to keep it from literally passing out. So it is possible to overwork computers. And running VMware must be a huge test in that direction.

The preload process is a big gobbler just after booting. After that, CPU usage is fine. Except just after startup, I am seeing less CPU usage than on 11.3.

Where people have high usage, it is perhaps a hardware and/or driver issue specific to their system.

Hi to All,

Well now let’s see: (Please read this as it is intended… friendly)

DenverD - Yep you are right. I need to work on my Google “skills”.:embarrassed:. Your example was an eye opener. Thanks. However, my BIOS and hardware have nothing to do with it… of that I am fairly sure.:nerd:. The system is:
An HP 7480 Pentium-D (early dual core), 4GB RAM running at 3.2Ghz Been running this since January of 2007 and the CPU “Hyper Drive” problem has happened before. It was a problem with Power Devil in KDE4 (Jan 09). This ‘was’ fixed by removing KDE4 altogether cause at the time we were still offered KDE3.5. The Power Devil problem eventually got fixed by the Developers. Then there was the time when Xorg was hogging the CPU. That was also fixed… I believe that was in 11.2 or 11.3.

swerdna - Yep you are right. However, right now I am only in openSuSE with:
4 Firefox sessions going
1 Konqueror session going
1 Thunderbird
2 Xterm windows.
1 System Monitor Widget.
Whilst reading and responding to to these messages (VMware is NOT loaded) I get jumps in CPU usage as high as 100% just by scrolling up and down the Firefox window so I can see previous messages. As for VMware, yes I do expect “higher” CPU strain -but- not for just moving a mouse around in the VMware window. In the past, in fact just in 11.3, I was able to open a Win2k session inside VMware and once it got started NOT have any “Hyper” activity unless I saved a large file or viewed a graphic or something where it used a lot of system resources. Just for fun and experimentation, I have had Win2k, Win Vista and Windows 7 all running in VMware at the same time. Annndddd… once they all got loaded and I was doing nothing the “Hyper” activity ceased. Which is what it should be when only the Desktops are showing. At this time I do not have that setup in 11.4, only Win2k. -But- as I was typing this, I interrupted myself and started VMware and Win2k. There are NO operations started in Win2k… it is just sitting there with the Desktop showing. IF I move my mouse to that window, the VMware/Win2k, and just circle it around, I can cause 100% CPU activity. My main use of the Win2k sessions is Homesite, an excellent HTML editor that I have been using for years… and please, please to all… I don’t want to start a squabble of what Linux HTML editors that I “should” be using. That is not the point here. I have needs of the Windows Systems and running them on one(1) machine is very, very convenient. Matter of fact I also have Windows XP Media Center as a Dual Boot with my openSuSE. SuSE is the default. I use the XP Media Center to record TV programs. Haven’t been successful on the Linux side… yet, but it is not high on my priorities (had the system for a year before I used the TV section in XP:embarrassed:) . There now, I’ve bragged about my System.:shame:.

djlegge - since I haven’t seen a reply as to which you removed I’ll assume that it was libqt4-sqlite which I think would be the lesser of the two in operation importance. After re-reading and re-reading your message, I think that is what you did. Then I will reply to all with the results.

Thanks,
Chuck

Hello Again,

djlegge is on to something. I removed libqt4-sqlite and there was a BIG improvement. However, the removal of libqt4-sqlite caused a lot of other changes. I tried at first to just “break kaffeine” but then it came right back with the long list again. So, I accepted the long list, which has made a lot of changes to my system. (I’ll probably have to fix kaffeine cause it wasn’t in the second list… and I didn’t think until later that I should have undone the first change.) Anyway, after accepting this BIG change I don’t have the high CPU usage like it was. Still needs further testing and watching -but- this was the biggest benefit so far.

Thanks to all,
Chuck
http://www.trcompu.com/libqt4-sqlite.png

SQlite hogging CPU is probably caused by a configuration error somewhere. Did you upgrade to your current configuration? Jumping up and down versions can cause problems in configuration files. Check to see what used the library by going to Yast and searching with the “requires” box checked. Rename or remove the configuration files for those apps

On 2011-03-18 12:36, chucktr wrote:

> Have also used ‘top’ and it looks like xorg is one of the biggest hogs.

Maybe you are using the opensource video driver, effects have to be done in
CPU instead of GPU.

> However, when I use VMware it goes into hyper drive a lot.

I have seen that. Less if the machine is powerful.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

Also amount of memory if you have less then 2gig there tends to be a lot of swaping if you run a VM.

On 2011-03-19 14:36, chucktr wrote:
> Whilst reading and responding to to these messages (VMware is NOT
> loaded) I get jumps in CPU usage as high as 100% just by scrolling up
> and down the Firefox window so I can see previous messages.

That points to you using a video driver without hardware acceleration.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.2 x86_64 “Emerald” at Telcontar)

11.4 had bursts of high cpu usage and freezing after install. Fixed it by disabling screen dimming in power profiles and removing tracker. Tracker was trying to index everything.

Now 11.4 is roughly twice as fast as 11.3 on my laptops and running rock solid.