Extract compressed file function not working anymore in kde5 (plasma 5) in tumbleweed.

Hi guys, as the title says, I’m not able to decompress zip or rar compressed files anymore, it doesn’t work in plasma 5 like it used to work in kde4 just fine, I have installed p7zip and unrar, have tried decompressing the files with Ark but it doesn’t work either, is anyone having the same issue or know why this happening?

Update: I have done a couple of tests and it appears that the problem is with RAR compressed files, I can decompress zip and 7zip files with no problems.

The desktop shouldn’t matter to Ark.
Ark works fine here on 13.2 with the latest version from KDE:Applications (which is the same as what’s included in Tumbleweed). Although I’m not sure I tried with RAR files recently… (if I create one with Ark which uses rar in the end, I can decompress it again with Ark though)

Maybe Ark just doesn’t find the corresponding extractor?
Try to run “kbuildsycoca4 --noincremental” to update the KDE4 system configuration cache.

Btw, you write that it doesn’t work with Ark either. What/how have you tried exactly before trying Ark?

And how exactly does it not work? Do you get some error message?

Can you extract the files with unrar?

A video is worth more than a thousand words, so here’s a video that will show you whats happening on my pc: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3et7i4s2hx5y1m/vokoscreen-2015-06-14_01-28-04.mkv?dl=0

If I run Ark from a terminal, this is the output I get when trying to decompress a Rar archive:

ezequiel@ezequiel-linux:~> ark
ark(4290) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-excel.sheet.binary.macroEnabled.12" 
ark(4290) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-excel.addin.macroEnabled.12" 
ark(4290) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.slideshow.macroEnabled.12" 
ark(4290) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-excel.sheet.macroEnabled.12" 
ark(4290) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.presentation.macroEnabled.12" 
ark(4290) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-word.template.macroEnabled.12" 
ark(4290) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-excel.template.macroEnabled.12" 
ark(4290) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.template.macroEnabled.12" 
ark(4290) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-word.document.macroEnabled.12" 
ark(4290) KMimeTypeRepository::parents: "/usr/share/mime/subclasses"  refers to unknown mimetype  "application/vnd.ms-powerpoint.slide.macroEnabled.12" 
ezequiel@ezequiel-linux:~> 

On 2015-06-14 08:06, eor2004 wrote:
>
> A video is worth more than a thousand words, so here’s a video that will
> show you whats happening on my pc: http://tinyurl.com/nvdwhxa

You are using the desktop file browser to “decompress here” an archive
of rar type.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 13.1 x86_64 “Bottle” at Telcontar)

Used to work flawlessly on KDE 4, but for some reason doesn’t work now on the new kde or plasma 5.

I have problems playing back the video. It just hangs at the beginning…

But apparently (if I understand correctly what Carlos wrote) you are right-clicking on a file on the desktop and choosing “Extract Here” or similar from the context menu?

If I run Ark from a terminal, this is the output I get when trying to decompress a Rar archive:

This output is “normal”, and appears on 13.2 as well (it’s not coming from Ark, btw…).

But, have you tried to open an archive and extract it?

So, does it work if you open the RAR file with Ark instead of trying the “Extract Here” context menu option?
Or does extracting work with unrar on the command line? (that’s what Ark uses).

Ark is still a KDE4 application, and the desktop shouldn’t matter to Ark as I wrote already.
But the ServiceMenu (“Extract Here” and so on) is missing in Plasma5. The KDE4 Ark only installs a ServiceMenu for KDE4, but that would affect all file types of course.

You could also try the KF5 based Ark from KDE:Unstable:Extra, but that has not been released yet. It will probably be part of KDE Applications 15.08 to be released in August, and you’ll get it in Tumbleweed shortly afterwards.

On 2015-06-15 10:06, wolfi323 wrote:
>
> eor2004;2715062 Wrote:

> I have problems playing back the video. It just hangs at the
> beginning…

Me too. I then clicked on “download”, and played it with xine, no
problems then.

> But apparently (if I understand correctly what Carlos wrote) you are
> right-clicking on a file on the desktop and choosing “Extract Here” or
> similar from the context menu?

Yes.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Yeah. I did that too meanwhile.
But he doesn’t use the “desktop file browser”, he is using the standard file manager, dolphin. (otherwise the “Extract” Service Menu wouldn’t even be available)
And it seems that extracting just hangs, although the preview works fine.
So again, try with unrar directly. And does it work when you click on “Extract” in Ark instead of dragging/dropping the file to dolphin?

Yes wolfi, I did as you suggested, I opened a terminal in the folder where the file is and then proceeded to run “unrar e 431981.rar” in the terminal window and it worked, the file was extracted, this is the output from the terminal:

ezequiel@ezequiel-linux:~/Videos/04-Munequitos para Valeria/Maya the Bee Movie (2014) [1080p]> unrar e 431981.rar

UNRAR 5.21 freeware      Copyright (c) 1993-2015 Alexander Roshal

Extracting from 431981.rar

Extracting  Maya.the.Bee.Movie.2014.1080p.BluRay.x264.YIFY.srt        OK
All OK
ezequiel@ezequiel-linux:~/Videos/04-Munequitos para Valeria/Maya the Bee Movie (2014) [1080p]>

Many thanks to you guys for taking the time to try to help me, that is what I always liked about this forum!

Ok, so unrar itself seems to work.

This leads me to a speculation:
I have unrar 5.11 here on 13.2.
Maybe there has been some change in the command line options or unrar’s output, which leads to the problem.

Can you try the 5.11 version? E.g. install the 13.2 unrar package from here and see if it works then:
http://software.opensuse.org/package/unrar

I will try myself with the 5.21 version too.

Ok, this does not seem to be the reason.
I cannot reproduce your problem with unrar 5.21 either (and I did try inside Plasma5 as well).

You might still try to downgrade unrar though. You did install the version from the standard repo, right? Or are you using a version from somewhere else?

And have you tried to do a “normal” extract from inside Ark?
Do you get some message in the terminal when running Ark from there and trying that?

Hi, I’m an Ark developer. I suspect this issue is related to the overwrite prompt in unrar 5 being different to the one in unrar 3 and 4. Ark currently only supports the 3/4 prompt and when attempting to extract a file where the destination file already exists, the extraction job will hang as occurs in the video posted in this thread. Hence, unraring an archive should only hang when one of the destination files already exists. However, the OP reported that this also occurs even when the destination doesn’t exist, but I cannot reproduce this with current frameworks branch. A fix to support the unrar 5 overwrite prompt will be committed soon.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=349131

Right, I can reproduce that one…
Haven’t really noticed before.

However, the OP reported that this also occurs even when the destination doesn’t exist, but I cannot reproduce this with current frameworks branch.

Well, I guess the OP should clarify this.
As I wrote, I cannot reproduce the problem either, with Ark4 what the OP seems to use.
PS: I saw in the KDE bug report that he did. But maybe he just overlooked a file that already existed?

A fix to support the unrar 5 overwrite prompt will be committed soon.

349131 – Ark Unrar not working anymore in plasma5, opensuse tumbleweed kde5 64bit.

Great! Thanks. :slight_smile:

On 2015-06-15 18:06, wolfi323 wrote:

> Yeah. I did that too meanwhile.
> But he doesn’t use the “desktop file browser”, he is using the standard
> file manager, dolphin. (otherwise the “Extract” Service Menu wouldn’t
> even be available)

Oh. I didn’t remember there were two browsers in kde, nor did I
recognize which one it was. I used the term “desktop file browser”
generically, meaning that he was not using ark or some specific
archiving tool, and that you would understand/figure the rest :slight_smile:

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Hi guys, I will do some more tests and let you know later in the day if something change, thank you!

Hi Mr. Thomsen, If I copy the RAR archives into an empty directory and then right-click it and select “Extract->Extract archive here” it does work, however if the extracted file already exist it will stall or fail.

Yes wolfi, you’re right, I think I have overlooked a file that already existed, I’m really sorry!:embarrassed:

No problem. Thanks for confirming.

Then it will hopefully get fixed soon…
Although, the 15.08 release will be KF5 based AIUI, so it’s no option for an update to openSUSE 13.2 unfortunately.
But maybe we can backport the fix.