External HDD not mounting

@karlggest Just remember ntfs is blacklisted, hopefully @judasdisciple is using ntfs3… I just use exfat if on a windows machine…

I have no issues on GNOME 45 auto mounting filesystems via Nautilus…

It is basic knowledge (even for a MS Windows user) that you need to properly remove external drives or you could damage the file system or data. This also applies for linux.

It is a good sign that Gnome 45 warns the user that there might be a problem with a not properly removed drive. This is nothing which belongs into release notes. This should be standard behaviour!

1 Like

No, there is not. NTFS, as any filesystem type, can make use from soft buffers, even use seudo caches in the same device… but there’s no issue to work this way to readonly operations. Problem does not appears in mount operation, problem, if exists, come when unmount. Restored filesystem can not include all your data, so you need unmount it right. But once you have unmount it, refuse mount can’t be useful anyway.

DESCRIPTION
ntfsfix is a utility that fixes some common NTFS problems. ntfsfix is NOT a Linux version of chkdsk. It only
repairs some fundamental NTFS inconsistencies, resets the NTFS journal file and schedules an NTFS consistency check for the first boot into Windows.

from the man NTFSFIX(8)

And the same rules for any filesystem there: ext3/4, xfs, btrfs… but only ntfs refused to be mounted because of the kernel support (better, the traditional lack of it). So in ny honest opinion, it’s right if I can mount ntfs even if it has been unmounted improperly (and as in Plasma and other versions).

And finally even then it’s important enought to need be included in the release notes of Gnome 45.

If you believe you are right with your opinion that it is not necessary to eject a drive properly, you can try to convince the Gnome devs to include that in their release notes. Good luck with that :wink:

Hi!

Even I have a ntfs device (ntfs3 as it appears in mount). Other people have to use entire Windows systems, that is worst :rofl:
Sometimes I ask myself about convert the disk to exfat… Is it possible, or may I have to copy the entire disk another place?

Maybe is a fail, a inconsistency in his upgrade. Sometimes I have a small policy change than make system only can halt by root… I can’t use Gnome, I can help there.

This is the issue in my opinion.

@judasdisciple In linux at least you can run the command sync to ensure all data is written even if it says you can unplug the device. Is there something similar in windows, maybe that needs to be run?

Thank you, it’s nice to see replies from someone who isn’t quite as condescending as the rest. I’ve not had a chance to check on a Windows laptop as of yet and see if that will “fix” this issue. What just puzzles me more than anything is that I have been using this particular external to back up various information since using 12.3 and I’ve never had this issue before, and since changing to Tumbleweed I didn’t have any issues until it updated to GNOME 45. And as I said in the original post I used this HDD on my childs laptop that runs Pop!OS without any of this. So I was wondering if there was something else that was wrong.

@malcolmlewis will have a look tomorrow when I can have access to a windows computer.

@judasdisciple In Pop!OS can you run the command mount and collect the output for the device. For eample I formatted a disk with ntif3 in windows 10 vm, In openSUSE GNOME 45, I see;

/dev/sda1 on /run/media/username/WIN10NTFS type ntfs3 (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8,uhelper=udisks2)

The problem now is that she’s gone, so I don’t have access to her laptop. But as stated previously, will plug it into my work laptop tomorrow and see if that’ll do anything and report back.

1 Like

Well, if you make a chkdsk on it (plug it before booting, and let it some minutes even hours), it will come a good state so in your system with Gnome 45 has to works fine.

it may be a coincidence. Always using it without fail and the first time you doesn’t umount the device properly.

1 Like

Hi.

I better use Plasma :wink:

So I can say Good Luck is with me anyway!! :rofl:

I am watching this thread with upper amazement. Are you still trying to cooperate?
I have no idea how you got this posted (without any new lines where they belong), nor how you did not see that (the result of what you do can be seen at the right from where you type/compose, or is that different at your’s?)

Trying to unravel this I see /mnt: special device /dev/sdb1 does not exist.. Which would mean that the device it not connected anymore (compared with the error pop-up in your first post).

I wonder how you think that anybody can help you when you apparently frustrate almost everything we suggest you to do on the base of what we know about what happens on the system (which is not much).

The case of the improper removed Windows file system from a Windows system is reported here in the forums many times over years already. Most of the cases BTW are not because people draw the connector in the midst of a session, but because they stopped Windows thinking that Windows would then remove properly. But Windows does not when “fast boot” (or similar expression used) is on. After these people switch that “fast boot” off the problems were gone. Remind that that was most of the time on multi-boot Windows-openSUSE systems where some partition(s) was/were used for both Windows and Linux. But the same is of course true here: improper removal, either by pulling the cord, or by shutdown a “fast boot” Windows will leave the “dirty bit” on. Bingo.

I hope that you will also understand that this has nothing to do with a version of Gnome. It has not even something to do with what DE. Because all that software will in the end use the mount command (well, the library that implements it) an thus detect the same problem.

Of course the prove that it isn’t the desktop, is in doing the mount as root with a mount command. But by first not giving the mount point and then not having the device anymore, this test is frustrated.

2 Likes

With constructive intent:

But in his post https://forums.opensuse.org/t/external-hdd-not-mounting/170321/16 journal says sdc1. Maybe we should ask user about what partition or if he knows about partitions before request simple commands?

You have right about the users issues with ntfs. But PopOS can mount the disk, so this could be only a policy or a new dev rule -or coincidence, if the user correctly unmounted the disk for years and the first time the disk was unmounted incorrectly coincided with the GNOME upgrade. But even then that not explain why in PopOS works fine.

No, that about a static mount vs a dinamic (udev rules) mount.

Thanks for your patience.

1 Like