Experiences with Leap/Plasma5/VirtualBox.

1. Installed in virtual machine, VirtualBox running on OpenSuse
    13.1 host. Machine is i5-2500K using onboard graphics.

2. Installation appears to proceed normally, using the NET
    installer.

3. After installation the virtual machine won’t boot
    successfully. There is a blank screen at the point where
    display manager should appear.

4. Booted successfully to level 3. Replaced SDDM with KDM.
    Virtual machine now boots graphically to KDM. Selecting
    Icewm is successful and it runs normally.

5. Selecting Plasma5 from KDM gives various types of crashes -
    most commonly totally blank screen, or a default desktop
    with no panel which is totally unresponsive to mouse actions.

6. Followed Wolfi’s suggestions for running KDE4 on Leap. This
    works.

*********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************

Assume your 13.1 is 64-bit, with Intel CPU extensions enabled in the BIOS.
I don’t know for sure, but assume that the i5 integrated CPU is sufficient. It might be worth investigating which generation integrated GPU you have, earlier generations may border on sufficient while later generations easily sufficient.
Assume you have <plenty> of free disk space for your Guest. If you don’t know, the following command displays all your partitions and free disk space for each

df -h
  • You can try enabling/disabling hardware video acceleration in the Guest properties.
  • Although you say you did a NET install, it might still be worth running “zypper up” to ensure everything was installed and updated fully. In fact, do this both on your Host and in your Guest.
  • Consider whether your hard drive is highly fragmented. 13.1 has been around for a long time, is your install well over a year old? If this is the case, consider creating a completely separate partition or drive to store your vm disks to minimize the fragmentation of your virtual disks.
  • Consider zeroing out your free space and defragmenting your Host disk before installing a Guest. If your disk has plenty of free space, this may not have to be done often, but might be recommended… especially if your Host system has been actively used and running for a long time (over 2 years?).

TSU