eth0 and eth1 not working simultaneously for router

guys,
i am trying to make my opensuse11.1 as router and connect two other machines as source and destination to make an intranet. I have used an USB lan device for this purpose. The USB lan is taking “eth1” and the lan on motherboard as “eth0”. But for a router this 2 lan ports has to work simultaneously! one for incoming packets and the other for outgoing. BUT UNFORTUNATELY ONLY ETH0 or ETH1 IS WORKING AT A TIME!! I cant ping to eth0 and eth1 at same time though I have given seperate IPaddresses to both eth0 and eth1. Please help me to get a solution for this. how can I start my intranet. i have checked with “iptables -L -n” it is showing –

linux-krcn: iptables -L -n

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target prot opt source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)

I also checked “route” but really cant figure out anything!

linux-krcn: route

Kernel IP routing table
Destination Gateway Genmask Flags Metric Ref Use Iface
192.16.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 wlan0

link-local * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

192.168.0.0 * 255.255.0.0 U 0 0 0 eth0

loopback * 255.0.0.0 U 0 0 0 lo

PLZ HELP
Thanks in advance!!

Pls post the result of

ifconfig -a

Thanks framp,
but my problem is I am not able to ping eth0 and eth1 simultaneosly at a time from two terminals… can u suggest anything for that.

@openSuse_Ami

Maybe if you answered the question framp posed you, we might be able to help you. How about it, huh?

My suspicion, and I think framp’s too, is you have made the common mistake of putting different interfaces in the same IP subnet.

You are right - the output of the route command matches to this suspicion. But the ifconfig command will definitely confirm this misonfiguration.