Esxi client cannot connect to Suse server

So a while back I was able to mount a directory from my OpenSuse server as a NFS on an Esxi server. After restarting the Esxi server, the NFS became inactive and I was unable to remount it. The error given was that the Esxi client was unable to connect to the Suse server. I was looking into the showmount -a command on the Suse server and it showed the mount point on the Esxi server. Could this be causing the Suse server to reject new attempts to mount the directory? What else can I try to fix this problem? Also I should note that both servers can ping each other.

So it turns out SuseFirewall2 was the problem. I’m thinking the way to be able to mount NFS shares with the firewall still up is to set a specific port for mountd and statd in hosts.allow. Does anyone know the specific changes I should make to sysconfig/SuSEFirewall2?

There’s an option to specify a fixed port for mountd in /etc/sysconfig/nfs, which you can then allow through the firewall. There isn’t a similar one for statd, although the program does take a -p option, so you would have to edit the places where statd is started to add this option. IIRC, statd isn’t important for getting NFS to mount.