Error with fsck since 12.2

Hello, since upgraded to 12.2 i face a problem… i have to fsck manually this partitions ( /dev/sda1 and /dev/sdb1 and /dev/sdb5) or enter in failsafe mode to boot correctly.

sda1 its a /Windows98 partition i use to have wine and windows programs ( though its ext3)
sdb1 is /boot
sdb5 is /home

Once i login… i can reboot many times and everything works great… till for example the night that i shutdown the pc

Then the next morning i have to fsck or enter in failsafe mode again…

Seems to be a fsck or system.fsck problem because its strange that my hard disk broke the same day i upgraded and if i fsck manually it works ok, so it cant be hardware problem… in my point of view

Any help would be apreciated because its my only pc and i have important information on it.

Also if helps it takes a long time ( 2-3 minutes to fsck sda1 and only two or three seconds the other partitions)

pd: the error tells me to fsck manually without -a or -p options

Thanks in advance

On 2012-09-26 21:26, ejgutierrez wrote:
> Once i login… i can reboot many times and everything works great…
> till for example the night that i shutdown the pc
>
> Then the next morning i have to fsck or enter in failsafe mode
> again…

How is the clock?

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

There is a lot of inconsistent information here. And all from what you think, but nothing from real computer facts.

Please post the output of

fdisk -l

and

cat /etc/fstab

Thanks for your effort and help…lets go…

fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sdb: 160.0 GB, 160041885696 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 19457 cylinders, 312581808 sectores en total
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Identificador del disco: 0x00053b0c

Disposit. Inicio    Comienzo      Fin      Bloques  Id  Sistema
/dev/sdb1   *          63      208844      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sdb2          208845   244348649   122069902+   b  W95 FAT32
/dev/sdb3       244348650   285748154    20699752+  83  Linux
/dev/sdb4       285748155   312576704    13414275    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/sdb5       285748218   295804844     5028313+  83  Linux
/dev/sdb6       295804908   312576704     8385898+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sda: 120.0 GB, 120033041920 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 14593 cylinders, 234439535 sectores en total
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Identificador del disco: 0x9f309f30

Disposit. Inicio    Comienzo      Fin      Bloques  Id  Sistema
/dev/sda1   *          63   234436544   117218241   83  Linux

cat /etc/fstab

/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3160021A_5JS44S1X-part6 swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
UUID=3115e023-fb21-4348-bbc7-9285c6f0ac1f /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr,exec        1 1
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3120022A_3JS15REH-part1 /Windows98           ext3       acl,user_xattr                            1 2
/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST3160021A_5JS44S1X-part2 /Musica              vfat       users,gid=users,umask=0002,utf8=true,exec 0 0
UUID=a76a61d4-1786-4e60-8fb8-8dcd16ebd2c7 /boot                ext3       acl,user_xattr,exec        1 2
UUID=030dcad4-98a2-4340-8dc4-2940d25ba888 /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr,exec        1 2
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0                                                
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0 

Hope this help…

Dont understand what you mean, but when i login it works ok ( date and time)
Thanks for your effort and help

Thanks. It helps to make your situation more clear. Because you only told about some of the partitions, most of us could not understand what partitioning you have or where you use them for. In fact the picture is still complete because you partly mount by UUID (which we see not often) and thus still miss the link between UUID and partition. The actual situation can be seen with

mount

But, as said, it is more clear now.
It seems that it does have problems with all ext3 file systems, except the root file system / (but that is mounted earlier).

You say that you do reboots as a test and then do not have the problem. NOw reboot is agan one of those general English exoressions that can mean multiple things. THus please explain, do youy mean with that a reboot where the BIOS reboots the system withou it being powered off. Or do you man a shutdown with poer off ehere you (re)boot immedialtky by powering on. The latter is exactly as you describe for the night. The first is not the same.

Like Carlos suggested (but did not explain, be prepared that his answer may include usefull help, but is understandable when you ar not clairvoyant enough to follow his strain of thought :wink: ), it could be that your hardware clock is to much off after a night and that thus the timestamps in the fs seem to be wrong. I do not know enough about ext3 to say that is a possibility.

But as it is very strange to have problems with all your ext3 fses at the same time and that repeatable. We must look for a common cause.

PS when you post computer output as above, make your mouse sweep a little bit larger and inclusd prompt, command, output and the next prompt. Thus we can see who you were. where you were, what you did what ressulted and that it is complete in one piece of information.

On 2012-09-27 10:06, ejgutierrez wrote:
>
> Dont understand what you mean, but when i login it works ok ( date and
> time)

A bad clock (slow) would have those symptoms, so check what is the bios time before booting,
and check the battery.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

This is the output:

Desktop:/home/eduardo # mount
devtmpfs on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,relatime,size=2007092k,nr_inodes=206888,mode=755)                                          
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,relatime)                                                                                    
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)                                                                  
/dev/sdb3 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,commit=5,barrier=1,data=ordered)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,relatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,relatime)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,release_agent=/lib/systemd/systemd-cgroups-agent,name=systemd)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuacct,cpu)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=28,pgrp=1,timeout=300,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct)
tmpfs on /var/run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
tmpfs on /var/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=755)
tmpfs on /media type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,mode=755)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,relatime)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
/dev/sdb2 on /Musica type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,gid=100,fmask=0002,dmask=0002,allow_utime=0020,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
/dev/sda1 on /Windows98 type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,commit=5,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/sdb5 on /home type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,commit=5,barrier=1,data=ordered)
/dev/sdb1 on /boot type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,commit=5,barrier=1,data=ordered)
none on /var/lib/ntp/proc type proc (ro,nosuid,nodev,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /run/user/eduardo/gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1001,group_id=100)

The problem mostly is in /dev/sda1 which takes two or three minutes to fsck. The others sdb1 and sdb5 just ask me about repairing one thing and i say yes, and in one second or two is done…

Sorry for my bad english… but if i reboot i dont have the problem once its solved by first time. The problem appears every time i shutdown the pc and then turn on the pc. I reboot “normally” going to menu salir → reiniciar ( in kde4, dont know the menu options in english), I can choose between close session, sleep, reboot and shutdown…I only do that…Dont know if it helps.

Thanks. No battery as i use a desktop pc…and ill tell you what time is set in bios when i shutdown the pc…Thanks.

Am 27.09.2012 13:16, schrieb ejgutierrez:
>
> Thanks. No battery as i use a desktop pc…and ill tell you what time
> is set in bios when i shutdown the pc…Thanks.
>
>
I am sure Carlos meant the CMOS battery, which every PC has.

PC: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i7-2600@3.40GHz | 16GB | KDE 4.8.4 | GeForce GT 420
ThinkPad E320: oS 12.2 x86_64 | i3@2.30GHz | 8GB | KDE 4.9.1 | HD 3000
eCAFE 800: oS 12.2 i586 | AMD Geode LX 800@500MHz | 512MB | KDE 3.5.10

Yes, of course not the power source of the working computer, but the CMOS battery that feeds the clock (and maybe a few other things) when the system is switched off and cable/battery power is not used.

Your story about reboot vs switch off/boot is not quite clear. It is not about what you clicked, but about if you switched off the hardware (a real shutdown with power off) or if you used a reboot where the system runs itself down and then asks the BIOS to restart with a boot.

We want of course know if the problem occurs only when the system is switched off (as at night, but also when you test this procedure in 5 minutes). We are NOT interested in a reboot, which you tell does not initiate the problem.

And from our viewpoint it is not rely interesting how much time the fsck takes. It should simply not happen. The fact that 3 (three) file system show this points to one source. We must find this.

Sorry for my bad english…but dont understand what you mean…

When i switch off the pc, it shuts down with power off ( i shutdown the pc every night).

When i reboot, i click that button in the menu and pc reboots

Where can i see the CMOS battery status ? or clock ?? Thanks

Yes. I want you to test during the day, now, the same switch off as you do for the night. We want to know if it only goes bad when you switch it off for the whole noght (several hours), or if it also goes wrong when you switch off during 5 minutes

BTW. how do you switch off the sytem? by using the same as for a reboot, but then the shutdown button?

On 2012-09-27 14:26, hcvv wrote:

> We want of course know if the problem occurs only when the system is
> switched off (as at night, but also when you test this procedure in 5
> minutes). We are NOT interested in a reboot, which you tell does not
> initiate the problem.

That it happens on a power-off, but not on a reboot, is interesting. The cmos clock does not
need the battery during a reboot, but it does during a power off.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

On 2012-09-27 14:46, ejgutierrez wrote:

> Where can i see the CMOS battery status ? or clock ?? Thanks

In the bios screens. If there is no battery check, use a multimeter. If you don’t know how,
call a friend or take the computer to a shop, because I don’t know how to explain that.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Thanks for your help but the problem seems solved.

Yesterday i made an update using yast ( as i used to do everyday or two), and when i was testing about reboot and shutdown as they asked me for, voilaaaa…the problem is gone. Ive tried it two or three times, and all went ok. For now i can say the problem is solved and i assum that was fixed by one of the updates.

Thanks again for your help and effort. If in the near days i have the problem again, id post.

Thanks again

Well, it is very nice that you have a correct functioning system again.

It is a bit frustrating that we do not know what was wrong.

In any case: Enjoy openSUSE and do not hesitate to come back when you have another question/problem.