error of xfce nano?

When I launch nano in terminal, XTerm (the name shown in the Whisker menu) says Error reading /etc/nanorc: Permission denied. Terminal Emulator says Error opening terminal: xterm-256color. How can correct these errors of nano or terminals?

I’m using KDE, though it shouldn’t matter. I get:

% ls -l /etc/nano*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11596 May 22  2023 /etc/nanorc

What do you see with that “ls” command?

ls -l /etc/nano*
-rw-r–r-- 1 root root 11596 May 22 2023 /etc/nanorc

That looks correct. It leaves me puzzled as to why you are getting that error.

I’m not using XFCE, so I cannot fully test what you are seeing. I use KDE, and that shows:

% echo $TERM
xterm-256color

in a konsole terminal. I’m guessing that where the string “xterm-256color” comes from (probably with “xfce4-terminal” rather than “konsole”).

Maybe you have some broken aliases, but that’s only a guess.

How to rebuild aliases?

If you have not set up any aliases yourself, then this is unlikely to be the problem.

I’m out of ideas as to what could be going wrong.

I may have to try.

Loading repository data...
Reading installed packages...

S | Name            | Type    | Version            | Arch   | Repository
--+-----------------+---------+--------------------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------
i | terminfo        | package | 6.1-150000.5.24.1  | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
i | terminfo-base   | package | 6.1-150000.5.24.1  | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
i | terminfo-iterm  | package | 6.1-150000.5.24.1  | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
i | terminfo-screen | package | 6.1-150000.5.24.1  | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
i | xterm           | package | 330-150200.11.15.1 | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
i | xterm-bin       | package | 330-150200.11.15.1 | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
i | xtermset        | package | 0.5.2-1.27         | x86_64 | Main Repository

S | Name            | Type    | Version            | Arch   | Repository
--+-----------------+---------+--------------------+--------+-------------------------------------------------------------
i | terminfo        | package | 6.1-150000.5.24.1  | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
i | terminfo-base   | package | 6.1-150000.5.24.1  | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
i | terminfo-iterm  | package | 6.1-150000.5.24.1  | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
i | terminfo-screen | package | 6.1-150000.5.24.1  | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
i | xterm           | package | 330-150200.11.15.1 | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
i | xterm-bin       | package | 330-150200.11.15.1 | x86_64 | Update repository with updates from SUSE Linux Enterprise 15
i | xtermset        | package | 0.5.2-1.27         | x86_64 | Main Repository[quote="Sauerland, post:8, topic:174392, full:true"]

zypper se -si terminfo xterm

@yuwf
Please always include the line with the prompt and the command when you copy/paste. Now we have output and have to guess what you did. Even if you did what was suggested, we can not check if you did that exactly.

And of course you have seen yourself by now that you forgot to use the </> in the post above. :wink:

What a easy guess.

If you add xerm-resize? I have it on my install but this is tumbleweed. It’s the one missing compared to mine. I am on xfce also.
Do: zypper se terminfo xterm if that package is available.

#zypper se terminfo xterm

S | Name                | Summary                                   | Type
--+---------------------+-------------------------------------------+-----------
  | foot-extra-terminfo | Extra terminfo files for the foot termi-> | package
  | ghc-terminfo        | Haskell terminfo library                  | package
  | ghc-terminfo-devel  | Haskell terminfo library development fi-> | package
  | kitty-terminfo      | The terminfo file for the Kitty terminal  | package
  | lxterminal          | Lightweight LXDE Terminal                 | package
  | lxterminal-lang     | Translations for package lxterminal       | package
  | perl-Term-Terminfo  | Access the terminfo database              | package
i | terminfo            | A terminal descriptions database          | package
i | terminfo-base       | A terminal descriptions database          | package
i | terminfo-iterm      | A terminal descriptions database for it-> | package
i | terminfo-screen     | A terminal descriptions database for sc-> | package
i | xterm               | The basic X terminal program              | package
  | xterm               | The basic X terminal program              | srcpackage
i | xterm-bin           | The basic X terminal program              | package
  | xterm-console       | A Linux vt console look-alike xterm wra-> | package
i | xtermset            | A program to change the settings of an -> | package

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.