Error loading operating system_

:’( It is second weekend I am trying to get openSuSe up and running on my laptop.
After I finaly got a working install DVD and istalled the openSuSe 11.1 on my HP Compaq nc6400 I am getting “Error loading operating system_” when I am booting from HD.
Media tests and memory tests are showing no problems but firmware test is showing lot of problems:
F The memory map has a memory hole between 15Mb and 16Mb
F Boot device 0x80 does not support EDD
F Processors are set to SW_ANY
F Falied to locate HPEZT base
Any suggestions what to do?

I istalled the openSuSe 11.1 on my HP Compaq nc6400 I am getting “Error loading operating system_” when I am booting from HD.
Media tests and memory tests are showing no problems but firmware test is showing lot of problems:
F The memory map has a memory hole between 15Mb and 16Mb
F Boot device 0x80 does not support EDD
F Processors are set to SW_ANY
F Falied to locate HPEZT base
On HCL HCL/Laptops/HP - openSUSE
I do not see 11.1 for nc6400.
Does it mean I should go and use openSuSe 10.2?
Any suggestions what to do?

When I run Repair Tool Box - Boot Installed System
YaST2 is responding No Linux root partition found
When I use openSuSe Live CD I Linux is working fine.
It must be just booting issue from HD.

I’m not sure those errors mean much. I have those, plus some warnings, when I run firmware test but the computer boots openSUSE 11.1 fine. Try running Repair from installation DVD. I had problems booting when I installed to a SATA disk and also had some ATA disks connected while installing. It didn’t boot from the SATA disk for some reason. Had to disconnect the ATA disks and reinstall, then it could boot from SATA disk. Don’t know if it fits your problem at all but try Repair anyway.

This is normally an error produced by the BIOS and not by the OS, your HD is not bootable (no bootloader installed).

Pardon my not knowing, but what firmware tests are these:

…but firmware test is showing lot of problems

The answer to the next one is:

On HCL HCL/Laptops/HP - openSUSE
I do not see 11.1 for nc6400.
Does it mean I should go and use openSuSe 10.2?
The absence of 11.1 in the HCL just means that no-one who owns your laptop model could be bothered to make an entry in the HCL. Many devices aren’t listed in the volunteer HCL. It doesn’t mean they don’t work.

When you boot the computer, is the first thing you see:

• The error message you mentioned
  • or is it a screen with a series of menu entries for you to choose an entry for booting.

“Error loading operating system_”
is the only message on a black screen.
Thanks for your attention.
But when I use Repair Tool Box
YaST2 is reporting that
“No Linux root partition found”

WTF? Just read this thread here wondering why my answer is not shwowing up.

Error loading operating system_ - openSUSE Forums

Don’t double post, this is extremely annoying and of no help for anyone (including you) at all.

I have merged the two threads for you. The installation seems to have failed, probably need a re-install. I can’t help because I don’t understand firmware tests. Good luck.