Error During Install (Can't Create Transaction Lock)

I am trying to install openSuse 12.1 as the OS on an RDT CMX158886 PC-104 cpuModule. About halfway during the installation process I get the following error:

Error: Can’t create transaction lock on /var/lib/rp/.rpm.lock

After reading a number of forums and help guides it seems like the solution is to login with su and try to run the RPM command. As you can probably imagine this is impossible since as of now I have no OS and cannot enter a terminal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I’d like to just wipe out the hard drive and start all over, but I cannot even figure out how to do that since the only thing I can access is the BIOS.

Please, try to define more precise your expression “About halfway during the installation process”. Is that during you providing all sorts of answers, or is is it allready installing software packages from the DVD (I guess you install from a DVD, but you did not tell that, so I could be wrong)? At the start/end of some particular stage of the whole installation?

BTW for starting an installation, you do not need much more then the BIOS. When the BIOS is able to boot from the DVD (and you went allready through that, thus it must be able), off you go. One does not “wipe a disk” (with what). The Installation will partition the disk (under your command), create file systems where needed (under your command) and cretae an fstab accordingly for the normal booting of your system ever after.

hcvv I appreciate your response, thank you. I seemed to have solved the issue for the time being. It was a problem with how the system was being partitioned. I went in and explicitly stated how it should be partitioned rather than using the suggested settings and it seems to work. I am currently running into network configuration issues now as seen here: http://forums.opensuse.org/forums/english/get-technical-help-here/network-internet/476676-issues-static-ip-network-configuration.html#post2473981

On 2012-07-12 18:56, kwestcobb wrote:
>
> I am trying to install openSuse 12.1 as the OS on an RDT CMX158886
> PC-104 cpuModule. About halfway during the installation process I get
> the following error:
>
> Error: Can’t create transaction lock on /var/lib/rp/.rpm.lock
>
> After reading a number of forums and help guides it seems like the
> solution is to login with su and try to run the RPM command. As you can
> probably imagine this is impossible since as of now I have no OS and
> cannot enter a terminal.

Actually, you can, the installation system has two or three terminals. But
I don’t know if that would be of use, I’m not familiar with that error,
never seen it.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ideally I’d like to just wipe
> out the hard drive and start all over, but I cannot even figure out how
> to do that since the only thing I can access is the BIOS.

If you can boot the installation system, you can select “rescue” and there
you have an small live Linux system to do things.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)