Filesystem type is extfs, partition type0x83
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-3.1.0-1.2-default root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST340016A_3HS3
DC5P-part6 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST340016A_3HS3DC5P-part5 splash=silent qu
iet vga=0x317
[Linux-bz-Image, setup=0x4200, size0x4490c0]
initrd /boot/initrd-3.1.0-1.2-default

Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory

Press any key to continue…

Machine: PII 233, 971kB RAM, 40Gig HDD (it may have found and left an old copy of Windows that I didn’t catch during intall)

Is there insuffiecient RAM? or is the HDD too full (I could reformat the HDD on a Windows machine - FAT32? - and try new install…)

So the error from grub says this …

28 : Selected item cannot fit into memory
This error is returned if a kernel, module, or raw file load command is either trying to load its data such that it won’t fit into memory or it is simply too big.

And, the alleged minimum hardware requirements are these:

openSUSE supports most PC hardware components.

The following requirements should be met to ensure smooth operation of openSUSE 11.4:

• Pentium* III 500 MHz or higher processor (Pentium 4 2.4 GHz or higher or any AMD64 or Intel* EM64T processor recommended)
  • Main memory: 512 MB physical RAM (1 GB recommended)
  • Hard disk: 3 GB available disk space (more recommended)
  • Sound and graphics cards: supports most modern sound and graphics cards, 800 x 600 display resolution (1024 x 768 or higher recommended)
  • Booting from CD/DVD drive or USB-Stick for installation, or support for booting over network (you need to setup PXE by yourself, look also at Network install) or an existing installation of openSUSE, more information at Installation without CD

The GRUB bootloader co-operates with other operating systems on the same machine. openSUSE can be installed on one free harddisk partition, while preserving existing installations on other partitions.

And your 917kB RAM is way less, but perhaps you meant to say Megabytes? Still, I have not used a PC less that 1 Gigabyte myself and even that is too low in my opinion for 64 bit. You must stick with a 32 bit openSUSE installation that is for sure. Also, you should use only Linux partition types for an openSUSE install like EXT4, the default. There must free, un-partitioned space for openSUSE to use and while it can mount both FAT32 and NTFS partitions, no attempt to load openSUSE into that partition type (FAT or NTFS) is going to work. Finally, in a 40 GB only hard drive, I would install only openSUSE and nothing else in fact I feel the partition should be blank on such a system or you will delete all partitions on that drive before you start the installation.

Thank You,

thank you;
I understand that the CPU is a bit underpowered (this is an experimental install, on an “old mule” machine - first time in Linux world :wink:
Essentially, RAM is 1Gig, I probaly forgot to delete the partition before installing openSUSE (just took care of that with a DOS boot disk - deleted partitions, created partition, formatted, then deleted partiton again - not sure if something gets left behind as my DOS boot disk only “see” 8Gig of the 40Gig HDD…
Will try another install…

You may need to pick custom partitioning and remove all partitions before you start. I would create a 1 GB SWAP, 15 GB / (root) and the rest (24 GB) for /home and see if that works for you. I would not add much to the default install except for perhaps kernel headers to compile drivers if you need to, but you can add that in later no problem if you need to.

Thank You,

will give it a shot… thanks

On 2012-01-11 03:06, celticbrooder wrote:
> Error 28: Selected item cannot fit into memory

View this thread: http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php?t=469041

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)

To quote the OP in that message he says: “Found the problem. My bios has an option to use a hole at 14M-15M in the memory. If this is turned on, grub won’t boot 12.1. If it is turned off, it boots ok. With 11.4 this was no problem to turn it on though…”

**Very good find Carlos, thank you very much!
Thank You,

interesting… as a habit, I typically turn of all caching/shadowing in BIOS as these are generally no longer necessary in WinXP (drivers handle this)… not sure if I turned of the “hole”… which was, occasionally needed with ISA boards (i.e. precursor to PCI/AGP only)…
in the middle of a re-install (“new”)… will check that if I run into problems again… thanks for the tip

this install has defaulted to:
swap volume /dev/sda1 (745.20MB)
root volume /dev/sda2 (14.68 GB) with ext4
volume /dev/sda3 (21.86 GB) for /home with ext4
(still trying to translate some of this into Win/DOS-ese :wink:
hope it does the trick…
gracias, spaciba

On 2012-01-11 03:16, jdmcdaniel3 wrote:
> So the error from grub says this …
>
>> > 28 : Selected item cannot fit into memory
>> > This error is returned if a kernel, module, or raw file load command is
>> > either trying to load its data such that it won’t fit into memory or it
>> > is simply too big.
> And, the alleged minimum hardware requirements are these:
>

Notice that the alleged too big element refers to the kernel file or the
initrd file, not the installation itself or the sizes of partitions or such.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

I would go with the default and good luck to you. Please come back and tell us of your success.

Thank You,

On 01/11/2012 04:26 AM, celticbrooder wrote:
> still trying to translate some of this into Win/DOS-ese

imHo it is easier to learn what it means in Linux-ese, than to try to
translate it into what you know already…

because if you do the latter you could easily make assumptions that
prove wrong…

to try to be helpful: you have now a ‘typical’ openSUSE default install
using the entire disk for three partitions

size symbol name win-like

14.7 / root C
21.9 /home home D
…75 swap swap (hmmmm, i do not know enough about win to say…)

DD http://tinyurl.com/DD-Caveat http://tinyurl.com/DD-Hardware
http://tinyurl.com/DD-Software
openSUSE®, the “German Engineered Automobiles” of operating systems!

On 2012-01-11 04:26, celticbrooder wrote:
> swap volume /dev/sda1 (745.20MB)

Too little. At least 2 GiB.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

Carlos E. R. wrote:
> On 2012-01-11 04:26, celticbrooder wrote:
>> swap volume /dev/sda1 (745.20MB)
>
> Too little. At least 2 GiB.

Why?

true… like using the water/pipe analogy when trying to explain the fundamentals of volts, amps, watts, etc.
function of “root” appears to be similar to the win registry/cabs (very crude comparison)… basics: don’t monkey withit usless you know what you’re doing.
swap… like page files?? (used to compensate for ram shortages?)
anyway, flurent in german now… don’t need to translate in my head anymore :wink:
but i get your point

On 2012-01-11 15:45, Dave Howorth wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> On 2012-01-11 04:26, celticbrooder wrote:
>>> swap volume /dev/sda1 (745.20MB)
>>
>> Too little. At least 2 GiB.
>
> Why?

Because Linux uses a lot of memory, and he has less that 1 GiB. The more
the merrier.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.

finished re-install; same error 28. went into bios and disabled memory hole at 15M-16M… that did the trick (kudos!)
openSUSE was very sluggish (CPU - PII 233)
I also noticed that SUSE was only seeing a bit under half a gig of ram 496MB (mobo/bios counted 917,xxxkB - just under 1gig)
Installed on separate (“clean”) HDD Lucid -Puppy… considerably quicker (also a 10minute install)… it also only saw half a gig RAM.
In short, looks like Puppy/Lucid will live on the “mule” (do older distros of “Linux” tend to be “lighter” or just have old bugs?)
And give openSUSE a shot on a spare HDD on the notebook (Toshiba Satellite A135-S2326 - Celeron M520 1.6MHz, 2Gig RAM)… hope drivers don’t prove to be an issue.

true… like using the water/pipe analogy when trying to explain the fundamentals of volts, amps, watts, etc.
function of “root” appears to be similar to the win registry/cabs (very crude comparison)… basics: don’t monkey withit usless you know what you’re doing.
swap… like page files?? (used to compensate for ram shortages?)
anyway, flurent in german now… don’t need to translate in my head anymore :wink:
but i get your point

finished re-install; same error 28. went into bios and disabled memory hole at 15M-16M… that did the trick (kudos!)
openSUSE was very sluggish (CPU - PII 233)
I also noticed that SUSE was only seeing a bit under half a gig of ram 496MB (mobo/bios counted 917,xxxkB - just under 1gig)
Installed on separate (“clean”) HDD Lucid -Puppy… considerably quicker (also a 10minute install)… it also only saw half a gig RAM.
In short, looks like Puppy/Lucid will live on the “mule” (do older distros of “Linux” tend to be “lighter” or just have old bugs?)
And give openSUSE a shot on a spare HDD on the notebook (Toshiba Satellite A135-S2326 - Celeron M520 1.6MHz, 2Gig RAM)… hope drivers don’t prove to be an issue.

On 2012-01-11 21:36, celticbrooder wrote:
> swap… like page files?? (used to compensate for ram shortages?)

Yes, the same thing.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.