error 15 :file not found on booting suse linux 10

ls -l /mnt/sda3/boot | egrep “initrd|vmlinuz”
this command lists nothing (that means empty?)

another thing
we asked linux question.org forum for this problem ,.they asked to add the following lines its result is here
(we added the following lines in the menu.lst(gedit boot/grub/menu.lst)i.e, before ###END DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC KERNELS LIST .
**title opensuse
root (hd0,2)
configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
**and then save it.
after rebooting it shows opensuse(seen at the end) and ubuntu os .
we select opensuse and goes into it.it shows the following
Xen – SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 - 2.6.16.60-0.33
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 - 2.6.16.60-0.33
Failsafe – SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 - 2.6.16.60-0.33

then it automatically goes into (within few seconds)SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 10 - 2.6.16.60-0.33

many lines gone up. finally we saw the following lines(we gave here few lines what we have seen at the end.)
BIOS EDD Fcility r0.16 2004-jun-25, 1 devices found.
Loading reiserfs
Attempting manual resume
waiting for device /dev/disk/by-id/SCSI-SATA_WDC_WD3200BEVT-WD-WXE308JF2860- Part1 to appear:…not found–exiting to /bin/sh
$

(here we do not know how to come out of this so then we typed exit and it shows the following)
umonunt: /dev: device is busy
umonunt: /dev: device is busy
kernel panic - not syncing: attempted to kill init!
(here no key board keys work.so we press and hold down the power button for few seconds until it shutsdown the computer.)
then what we do?)

then they requested me to approach the suse/novell forum.
by this we have to think that kernel is 2.6.16.60-0.33 installed.

another thing
We add the swerdna’s failsafe entry below the swerdna’s entry to the ubuntu’s menu.lst
and after boot into that, many lines goes up and
Finally shows the following

vendor:ATA model: WDC WD3200BEVT-2 Rev:11.0
type:direct access ANSI SCSI revision:05
SCSI device sda : 625142448 512 -byte hdwr sectors (32007 MB)
sda : write protect is off
SCSI device sda : drive cache :write back
SCSI device sda : 625142448 512 -byte hdwr sectors (32007 MB)
sda : write protect is off
SCSI device sda : drive cache :write back
sda : sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 < sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8 >
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda
loading processor
loading thermal
sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type0
FATAL:Error inserting thermal (/lib/modules/2.6.16.60-0.33-smp/kernal/drivers/acpi/thermal.ko):no such device.
Loading fan
FATAL:Error inserting fan (/lib/modules/2.6.16.60-0.33-smp/kernal/drivers/acpi/fan.ko):no such device.
Loading edd
BIOS EDD facility v0.16 2004-JUN-25 , 0 devices found
EDD information not available
loading reiserfs
waiting for device /dev/dev/sda3 to appear:…not found – exiting to /bin/sh
$_
(Here we type exit and enter then it shows the following)
exit
/ dev/dev/sda3: error open volume
invalid root filesystem – exiting to /bin/sh
$_
**(here we again typed exit and enter and shows the following)
**exit
mounting root /dev/dev/sda3
mount : special device /dev/dev/sda3 does not exist
umount: /dev: device is busy
umount: /dev: device is busy
kernel panic – not syncing : Atttmpted to kill init!
(Here we press and hold down the power button to shutdown the computer)

am i doing correct or not? then what will do?

You are getting much the same thing when booting from the first symlink entry, the failsafe symlink entry and the “linux question.org forum” configfile entry. The boot initiates in all those case but then the operating system tries to load and ultimately fails.

Then there’s this test

ls -l /blahblah/boot | egrep for initrd and vmlinuz

that says that the directory where the bootloader files reside has no initrd and no vmlinuz in the directory /boot. I can’t understand how the boot takes place.

I suspect that the full update to 2.6.16.60-0.33 failed in some respects.

1. Did something strange happen during the online update? You said this:

whan i do online updates , knowingly or unknowingly i checked the kernel version
What does that mean, can you explain the difficulty more?

1. I said this:

A question for you: You said earlier that you have kernel 2.6.16.60-0.33. How did you know that to be true?
Can you answer that question please?

I’m now almost convinced you need to try the “repair installed system” phase, but will wait on your answers.

Sorry for not giving reply,We are out of station for oneday.

We bought the laptop from the Eletronic Corporation of Tamilnadu (ELCOT) with pre-installed SLED 10 and UBUNTU.The elcot has given a list in which there are details about Operating Systems and the application softwares installed.But with DVD for SLED 10 only not for ubuntu.According to the list, the Kernel version of SLED 10 was 2.6.16.54.0.28-smp and ubuntu 8.04 was 2.6.24-16. After few months from purchase,we updated - when the system asks “update is available”.we click the box and it shows a no.of application softwares with check boxes inwhich few are crossed(that is Checked for update) and others are not crossed.Here we put the cross mark for kernel version in addition to the available updates and click the OK.THEN it requires Reboot,But fails and Shows “Error 15-File not found”.Here we did this wrongly even without knowing the linux basics throughly .After that,in Ubuntu we faced the depackage error,and correct it by manually(dpkg–configure -a).At this time,the kernel version also changes to (ubuntu 8.04. to ubuntu 8.04.1) 2.6.24-19,
2.6.24-21,
2.6.24-22,
After another update,We have now Ubuntu 8.04.3 Kernel 2.6.24-24
Ubuntu 8.04.3 Kernel 2.6.24-22
Ubuntu 8.04.3 Kernel 2.6.24-21
Ubuntu 8.04.3 Kernel 2.6.24-19
Ubuntu 8.04.3 Kernel 2.6.24-16
Ubuntu 8.04.3 Kernel 2.6.24-24
With Ubuntu launchpad ,We made changes in the menu.lst of Ubuntu and We have Ubuntu 8.04.3 Kernel 2.6.24-24(and also We solve the problem “unable to resolve host” with the help of Ubuntu launchpad)

If You consider "Repair installed system "to boot SLED10 .Please give step by step instructions.

We have DVD for SLED 10 SP2 .We need step by step instructions to repair SLED 10.

I do not have the DVD, so this is approximate: Boot off the install DVD – and from the list of options choose “Repair installed system” and proceed to do an “automatic” repair. Good luck with that. If it fails, you will probably have to retrieve any data from /home and reinstall SLED.