Epson WorkForce 600 - First page prints beautifully... all others are garbled

I’m having a very strange problem with openSuSe 11.3 and my Workforce 600. Everything worked fine with gutenprint and 11.2, however after upgrading to 11.3, my first page (and test page) will print just fine every time. However, the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, xth pages will come out completely garbled with lines all over, which looks like the image or text is somehow overlapping itself in the page in some kind of strange fractal pattern.

I’ve tried using all 4 drivers that shipped with the distro, and even the driver located here: Printer: Epson WorkForce 600 | OpenPrinting - The Linux Foundation

I’ve also tried switching between network LPD and Jetdirect using the add printer wizard. Nothing makes a difference.

Again, everything works perfectly fine if I print just one page at a time… but this quickly gets annoying if I have more than 2 or 3 pages to print…

Well, I think I’ve figured out where it’s going wrong. It looks like after the first page, the header gets printed every .5 cm down the page, as well as everything else. If there was a graphic to be printed, it will be spared, but the line containing the header, as well as a solid bar, will be printed to the left and to the right of it. It looks like something that is building the header inside of the postscript is fubar’ed after the first page… maybe I’ll try turning off headers (though it seems every program inserts them without asking…).

Here is a printout of this page, scanned with the printer in question (I turned off headers):

Page 1:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_oaEuphWUq-M/TGOLYr_PE7I/AAAAAAAAAR0/hqu9-xvN6fA/s576/Image-002.jpg

Page 2:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_oaEuphWUq-M/TGOLY8iyA4I/AAAAAAAAAR4/1V2kiqp4bWk/s576/Image-003.jpg

Sadly, it works fine from my girlfriend’s windows XP laptop… so it doesn’t seem to be a problem with the printer. I thought that maybe the printer’s ram was going bad, but this test disproved that hypothesis.

I’m in the same boat. Doesn’t matter which application (Adobe Reader, Ooo, etc) sends the print job, the second page comes out just like that above.

Moved from 11.2 64 bit KDE 4.3.5 to 11.3 64 bit KDE 4.4.4. Initially was getting solid black pages, but removed the pipslite driver and used the other one requiring the LSB >3.2

I seem to have fixed it here (all up-to-date with ghostscript / cups updates):

http://localhost:631 and pull up the CUPS page.

Got to Administation > Edit configuration file (below heading “Server”. This edits the file /etc/cups/cupsd.conf)

Add on the last line of the configuration file

RIPCache 64m

Then click on “save changes” and it will save the file and restart the CUPS server.

There’s nothing normally specified there and the CUPS default RIPCache of 8m gets used and that appears to mess the 2nd and subsequent pages up here.

Please try it and see if it works for you and report back.

Bingo! That fixed it for me as well. Please tell how you found this solution!!! I spent hours scouring google to no avail.

Glad it sorted it for you too. :good:

Initially, I had as much idea as you had, so joined the thread. I had tried to look at the problem a few weeks ago, when I first came across it when I upgraded to 11.3 (along with the newer version of CUPS and ghostscript), but didn’t really get to the bottom of it very quickly, apart from some bugs showing their heads. So I just worked round it printing off single pages of things…

Then I decided to tackle the issue properly as I required a few multi-page print-outs before going away. I’m surprised myself that between postings was only 39 minutes of using Google and reading through things. Must have got the search queries right somehow, because I wasn’t that quick when I last looked at the problem and gave up reading.

I’ve been away for a few days and now I can’t find the pages that got me to this answer. :frowning:

Anyway, either some finer minds than mine could work it out or find them. THIS might of been part of it. It may get fixed with CUPS 1.5.

It probably was the case with the previous pipslite driver that the default 8m RIPCache didn’t cause any issues, and only the shift to using the ESC/P driver has made it an issue now. It may also affect other distros differently depending on the defaults they have.

Hi,

I’ve got the same troubles with my HP OfficeJet Pro 8500 (hplip driver) under 11.3
Also the solution works but only if I set it greater than ‘64m’ (now I use ‘256m’)

I hope this gets fixed in CUPS soon…

kind regards
Eugen

Good to know euneuber that it’s not just Epsons that are playing up.

Glad you got it sorted.

The other link I found out about it was THIS

This worked for me on an hp c5180. Thank you!!! I was beginning to think I had to drop opensuse and go back to something else because printing is pretty essential for me.