EPSON Stylus SX125 driver

I searched the forums and found this, and i go to the site mentioned there (this), the .rpm installs, but i still can’t print. Neither the printer nor the scanner work…

In YaST, it detects the model of the printer (i think), it says it’s connected, and detects the model but doesn’t have drivers for it.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to get the driver or what i should do? I need both the printer and scanner.

In YaST, it detects the model of the printer (i think), it says it’s connected, and detects the model but doesn’t have drivers for it.

IIRC, for some reason the Avasys drivers get placed in the /opt directory (out of the reach of YaST). Anyway, try using the CUPS interface via your browser instead:

http://localhost:631/admin

Make sure your printer is connected. Click ‘Add Printer’ and enter ‘root’ for username and your root password. Once you get to the part where you need to choose make and model, you’ll need to browse for your driver instead ( /opt/epson-inkjet…/ppds/Epson/name-of-your-printer.ppd.gz). Hope this makes sense.

Worked perfectly!!! Thank you very much, the printer works now.

Can i do the same (or simmilar) for the scanner? The same device is also a scanner, but the file was for the printing part (which now works perfectly thanks to you!).
Scanner still isn’t reckognized…

Great result!

For the scanner, did you already get the driver from here?

If not, select the model, distribution, and version, then ‘Next’. On the next page presented to you, scroll down to the ‘Scanner Driver’ section. Note that there are .386.rpm (32-bit) and x86_64.rpm (64-bit) packages available. Download the appropriate iscan and iscan-data packages for your system. Install the iscan-data package first, then the iscan package. Now, you should be good to go.

With your multifunction device attached, launch iscan (either from menu, or type ‘iscan’ from a console). Is your scanner detected ok?

If not, there is a file ‘/etc/sane.d/dll.conf’, where there is a list of scanner backends (one for every .conf file you have in the /etc/sane.d/ directory). They will all be commented out with a ‘#’ character. At the end of the list, you may need to explicitly list the epkowa driver (so that the driver gets used when your scanner hardware is detected). For example, here’s the tail of my dll.conf file:

#umax
#umax_pp
#umax1220u
#v4l
#xerox_mfp
# The hpaio backend is provided by the hplip package:
#hpaio
epkowa
brother4

You’ll need to edit this file with root privileges. Once done, try the iscan utility again. Did that work for you?

Ok, i installed the driver and i get XSane scanning program with it, no iscan… When i write iscan in console it says:

If 'iscan' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this:
    cnf iscan

There is a dll.conf file though but i can’t edit it.
How do i edit it with root privileges?

Sounds like you didn’t install the Avasys iscan package yet. The following will confirm:

su -

Enter root password when prompted. Then

rpm -qa |grep iscan

What is reported?

Many admin tasks require root privileges. In a terminal, using the ‘su -’ command to become root, then issuing the desired commands is a common approach. For a single command ‘sudo’ and ‘su -c’ can be used. I’ll leave further details for your own research. Type ‘info sudo’ and ‘info su’ for this discovery.

There is a dll.conf file though but i can’t edit it.
How do i edit it with root privileges?

As a new user, you may prefer editing within a graphical (desktop environment). For KDE, you can launch an editor with root privileges like this

kdesu kwrite /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

A Gnome user can do

gnomesu gedit etc/sane.d/dll.conf

There are also good CLI editors available, and one you may wish to consider is ‘nano’. Install with the (yast) package manager if you don’t have it already.

sudo nano /etc/sane.d/dll.conf

Thank you for explaning the basics, i am kinda new, not really familiar with all the aspects of the system. I know about “sudo”, “su” and “su -”, not sure what’s the difference between “su” and “su -”, but that’s beside the point now, i’ll learn. :slight_smile:

Anyway…

I ran what you said in terminal and got this:

iscan-data-1.11.0-1.noarch

I’ll edit the file with “kdesu” then and post the result here.
I’m not sure about iscan still… Or even if got everything right.
I installed “iscan-data-1.11.0-1.noarch.rpm” package from Avasys, and installed it. Not sure what i got wrong… This one opened up for my selected system and device model.

EDIT: Ok, kdesu kwrite did it, added the two entries in the file, and still Xsane or any other scanning software installed won’t detect the scanner.
Do i need to reboot maybe?

Thank you for explaning the basics, i am kinda new, not really familiar with all the aspects of the system. I know about “sudo”, “su” and “su -”, not sure what’s the difference between “su” and “su -”, but that’s beside the point now, i’ll learn.

No worries. We’re all on the path to further learning with Linux…it’s a lifetime project :slight_smile:

You only have iscan-data installed. You now need to install the iscan RPM.

FYI: You might find this discussion useful once your immediate need to get your scanner working is complete. :slight_smile:

Become su in Terminal - HowTo

Thank you! I’ll read it! :slight_smile:

And, OMG, i can’t believe i missed it… I didn’t scroll the whole page. I feel stupid now! rotfl!

Anyway… The install is taking forever… Not sure why… It was chacking packages 5 times and then other stuff, idk, nevermind…
But it finally finished and ti works! Thank you for your help and excuse my noobness… Still learning. :slight_smile:

But it finally finished and ti works! Thank you for your help and excuse my noobness… Still learning.

My pleasure. Well done with stepping through the obstacle course. Often what seems daunting to start with, seems stupidly obvious and easy once the task is accomplished :slight_smile: Anyway, my advice is write the steps down somewhere, just in case you need to reinstall, or repeat after an upgrade. It might seem clear now, but it’s easy to forget later. (Memo to self: Practice what I preach).

Well i don’t write it down, but i save the forum pages of the topics i read when searching how to do something, and my own topics on forums. OR whatever internet page i come up with when searching. Sometimes i google it, and sometimes i search forums. And if i can’t find someone who is having the same problem as me or don’t understand something if i find it on google i post it here. So if i can’t remember i just read it again and i either remember or just do everything again step by step.

I really like the community of Linux (in general, not just SUSE, but SUSE is my favorite distro). Everyone is so helpful with everything however trivial the question may seem.
I bet if i asked, how to open the terminal, someone would explain it step by step. :slight_smile:

Thank you again!