Enlightenment Desktop Discussion

Sounds like a plan
As soon as I clear up the remaining niggling issues I will update the wiki.

Thanks for your suggestion :slight_smile:

Robert

I note an update on the PetiteLinux site you reference to

Edit: I confess trying to find out how to download this without installing additional download software, or joining susestudio is proving to be a challenge.

I downloaded and tried version 0.9.17 but it would not boot. I could not find a way to download versin 0.9.18.

Good Morning,
Unfortunately there was an issue preventing me from replying yesterday.
I would appreciate any more information you could give me regarding the “would not boot” issue.
The only issue I was aware of was a change in openSUSE permissions, which caused the X server to not start after the latest updates.
This was addressed in 0.9.18 and later.
Any other issues I would like to know about.

Other than that, there have been quite a few updates in the last few days, bringing me to version 0.9.20
This is a major change, since now there is a petite-update function, which will update petite to later versions, meaning that if you install 0.9.20, and I release a newer version, you can simply run petite-update and get up-to-date.

I have uploaded the .iso so now there is a public download link available to download by visiting http://petite.split.gr/download.php

I think I could change the status from beta to release candidate, since I believe almost all major issues have been dealt with.
If you get a chance I would appreciate any feedback you may have.

Thanks again,

Robert

I downloaded, burned, and booted my ‘sandbox PC’ to version 0.9.20 of Petite Linux (a 32-bit AMD Athlon-1100 w/1GB RAM (on a MSI KT3 Ultra motherboard) w/AGP nVidia GeForce FX5200 graphics [age 10-years]). This version booted ok and considering the age and slow speed of this PC it ran pretty well.

I noted Empathy now functions as did most the other applications I played with. I’m not a Chrome fan, but I noted the browser did function. I attempted to get ‘print screen’ by pressing the print screen keyboard function, that that is not mapped anywhere. I was able to get a print screen by launching gimp.

wicd connected to our wireless lan.

I failed to change the wallpaper to a custom one I copied to the PC, despite finding Enlightenment’s menu for doing so. The ‘directory’ UP functionality did not work, possibly because I was doing this test from a liveCD, and possibly because I simply am not familiar with Enlightenment. I obtained error messages about not being able to find /user/robert .

I think its worth putting a Link on the openSUSE LiveCD/derivatives web page. User feedback is needed IMHO to see what the typical Enlightenment user’s likes and dislikes are (so as to tune what is available), and as it is very much a different desktop from the Gnome/KDE/LXDE background that I come from its likely my comments are not so salient.

But many thanks for posting this and offering this liveCD for users. I hope you continue your efforts. :slight_smile:

I have fixed the background image issue, you can run petite-update for the fix.

As for the screengrab application, well I use gimp also.
I could install gnome-utils and bind the key to /usr/bin/gnome-panel-screenshot, however it depends on the tango-icon-theme which is kinda silly, so I have not done so.
There is also a enlightenment gadget that could be used. I will check the usability of the gadget soon and maybe add that.

I will be adding to the derivatives page soon, only a few more things to fix first, plus I had some obligations that left me zero spare time for about a week.

Thanks very much for your time and valuable feedback

I do not see an installer on the cd. I know this might not be some thing that can be done but it would be nice to be able to install this to disk. You may want to check out the below link as I know at one time you were able to download this for free but that may have changed. The only reason why I suggest it is so that you can see which applications they use for Enlightenment. The second link is based on Ubuntu but will give you an idea as to what they include. Like some one else suggested they can just install what else they want to install.

Where Debian meets Enlightenment

Bodhi, A minimal, enlightened, Linux desktop disc.

Speaking of Enlightement, I see from the Enlightenment website that they have just updated (on 29-Jan-2011) Enlightenment to version 1.0, where the transition to 1.0 is always a nice milestone.

Elive I remember donating to once, got the live cd and for some reason it never worked. This was a couple of years back mind you.

Bodhi I installed recently. It is pretty bare-bones, nothing other than a browser, other than that though it is impressively beautiful.

If you are talking about petite, there is a live installer
Hit the alt+esc key combo and type “live” or “installer” or similar and you will see it.

As for EFL version 1, I have made the update available through petite-update a few days ago, however it is the EFL and not Enlightenment (not the front end), which is still version r55225.

Thx,

Robert

I found your page that talks about Petite Linux and how to install. The problem I am having now is that it asks for a password when you try and do the live installer which I do not have. It might ask for this for any updates as well but I want to install it first and then hopefully I can use my own password.

My guess would be, when asked for the password, try: <enter>
… and if that does not work try: linux

linux is default password for user (alfa) and for root