encrypted root file system boot problems after update

Hi,

I installed opensuse 11.1 in a encrypted root file system with lvm following basically the procedure given in this article: openSUSE Lizards » encrypted root file system on LVM

It ran fine until I updated the latest recommended updates with yast. (It installed a new kernel!)

After rebooting I’m not asked for my luks password anymore instead the boot process stops with the following line

Kernel panic - not syncing : VFS : Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

The above article mentions problems might occur if the kernel is updated and suggests to repair /boot/grub/menu.lst file. I tried but I still have the same problem.

Does somebody understand what is breaking and how to fix it. I already digged quite deep looking at the new initrd that was created but I couldn’t make out a problem straight away but I also don’t really understand what is happening in detail during the boot process.
Any help in identifying the problem more closely or solving it is much appreciated.

Hi,

I could fix the problem by myself. Actually I also created part of the problem by myself.

So when you have a kernel update ensure that you add luks_root=/dev/sda# to the kernel commandline as suggested in the article before you reboot.
In case you forget you will be put to shell after reboot. You can mount the encrypted filesystem by hand then press ctrl-d and booting will continue. Then edit menu.lst file.

And don’t forget to copy the initrd line if you create a new menu entry. (This was the mistake that lead to the kernel panic)