Emacs segfault with libX11 update

The update of libX11 from 1.6.5-lp151.3.3-x86_64 to 1.6.5-lp151.4.3.1-x86_64 causes emacs using X11 windowing to segfault. emacs -nw functions without problems. It’s unclear whether this is a problem with upstream (emacs or X11) or with the build details.

Two workarounds: use “-nw” to disable window use, and run emacs in terminal mode
revert libX11 back to 151.3.3.

You need to submit bug report on https://bugzilla.opensuse.org

I experience the same problem here. On start-up, emacs segfaults. I noticed, however, the following:

  1. emacs does work when I start it as root.
  2. emacs does work if I start it using another user account (on the same laptop).

I tried the following, but to no avail:

  1. I removed the .emacs and .emacs.d configuration files.
  2. I removed .Xauthority
  3. I emptied the ~/.cache directory.

No succes, though. I have no idea whre to look further.

Another observation, which may or may not have anything to do with it. When I booted into KDE after the update, the desktop settings (icons, background) were just gone!

Any suggestions?


What was not clear in “you need to submit bug report”?

With the additional info, others can have suggestions, ideas, etc. Just saying “file a bug” is too simple an answer for a problem that is so fresh.

I feel that if one cannot contribute, it is good practice to keep silent.


I had the same issue with emacs-26.3-lp152.327.38.x86_64. I reverted libX to 1.6.5-lp152.4.5 and everything works fine.

Fatal error 11: Segmentation fault
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

[QUOTE=mikesol;2953972]I had the same issue with emacs-26.3-lp152.327.38.x86_64. I reverted libX to 1.6.5-lp152.4.5 and everything works fine.

Thanks. I did the same and it works again.


A quick workaround is the start via ssh X11 forwarding:

>ssh -X localhost emacs

I have the same problem, and emacs is absolutely vital for me.
Reverting the X11 update worked, but this was supposedly a security update. What am I risking by not doing it?

I tried to submit a bug report but couldn’t figure out how to.

It seems to have already been reported as Bug 1175028.

Hi All,

I have faced same issue but this issue have been fixed!
Once I updated libX11-6, libX11-xcb1 and libX11-data yesterday, totally resolved.

NG: libX11-6-1.6.5-lp152.5.3.1.x86_64
OK: libX11-6-1.6.5-lp152.5.6.1.x86_64


The root cause was regression by last fix for libX11.
For your reference, I found super helpful discussions here.

The original story that for me was I cannot input Japanese character with Qt3(KDE3) applications by upgrade Leap 15.1 to 15.2.
XIM was unusable at that time.
I have posted opensue-ja mailing list: https://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-ja/2020-08/msg00000.html
Regarding IM(Input method) variables in $HOME/.bashrc is:

# fcitx
export GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export QT_IM_MODULE=xim
export XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx

I hope this infromation helps international friends.