eMachines E527 Display and Acer Aspire 5253-BZ602 External speakers

Hello All,
Two problems on two different laptops. Both have openSUSE 11.4 installed (boxed version).
Desktop KDE, same issues using the Gnome desktop.

eMachines:
Not the most powerful, but good enough for its purpose.
When running the installation the screen (15.6" wide screen) looks good and proportional.
After the installation the Intel GM54 video driver is not properly interpreted or recognized by X11.
I have followed and tried many of the suggestions related to similar problems on this forum, but the system will only boot in graphics mode while nomodeset is applied. This results in a very ugly screen where all fonts and images are stretched, This in contrast to what the “basic drivers” loaded by the installation stack produces.
Is it possible to somehow assign those drivers to a working environment???

Acer Aspire:
Again, not the most powerful, etc., etc.
Here, the issue is that I cannot get any sounds from either external speakers or microphone. The hardware is OK since these issues do not happen when booting in Windows 7.
I have spent many hours trying to resolve this. Applied suggestions from oldcpu, among others, but no success.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand how hard it is to have all drivers, etc. working the moment new hardware hits the shelves, but perhaps it is possible to create a “wrapper” that allows for the implementation of drivers that work in Windows.

Any help and/or suggestions are very welcome
skylineds
Dick Davis

I am puzzled by your experience with the sMachine. I have the eMachine 520 with GM45 Express chipset which worked out of the box. I have never had any problems with programs that rely on X11 - indeed they work better than on my previous Acer. I wonder what prompted you to install any drivers.

Hi,
Perhaps there are some differences between the two models. My screen resolution =1366768, but I only get 1024768. Therefor and probably because of the nomodeset during booting the fonts are all Bold/Wide and blurry around the edges.
Nomodeset is necessary because else the monitor is dimmed during and after the boot process to being unreadable.
Thus my reason to “tinker” with the setups. BTW have tried reinstalling, ‘clean’ 3 times. No Luck!
DD

First a comment on your thread title. I assume you posted with the title “eMachines E527 Display and Acer Aspire 5253-BZ602 External speakers” because you hope to get help from users who know that hardware. IMHO after spending over 6 years on different GNU/Linux forums is that approach typically does not work as well as a different approach … the different approach being to start a different thread for each issue.

Here I would have recommended a Title: “eMachines with Intel GM54 video driver provides ugly screen/fonts/images-stretched” as your thread title.

wrt to that, when you using the ‘nomodeset’ boot code, you disable kernel mode setting, where kernel modesetting is supposed to provide superior automatic graphic device configuration (which clearly was not working in your case as you had to use the ‘nomodeset’ boot code). In the case of openSUSE-11.3 and 11.4, when using that boot code, it also forces loading of the primitive but highly compatible ‘fbdev’ graphic driver. And its likely you are using that driver now.

What is useful in such cases is to provide the output of the command:

/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2

and also open the file /var/log/Xorg.0.log and copy its contents and paste its contents to SUSE Paste and press ‘create’ on that page. That will provide you a web-site/URL address where that information is now located and if you post that website/URL address here we can take a look at the log.

What works for some users (with the ‘nomodeset’ boot code) is to edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file and change its contents to:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Default Device"

#Driver "radeon"

**  Driver "intel"
  ## Required magic for radeon/radeonhd drivers; output name
  ## (here: "DVI-0") can be figured out via 'xrandr -q'
  #Option "monitor-DVI-0" "Default Monitor"

EndSection

(note the line I added) and reboot. Test it. Also try disabling special desktop effects if enabled.

If that fails, restart in FailSafe and change the edit. You can try instead:

Section "Device"
  Identifier "Default Device"

#Driver "radeon"

**  Driver "intellegacy"
  ## Required magic for radeon/radeonhd drivers; output name
  ## (here: "DVI-0") can be figured out via 'xrandr -q'
  #Option "monitor-DVI-0" "Default Monitor"

EndSection

for the intellegacy driver.

If that fail then remove the edit completely.

You may wish to first install the program midnight commander (mc) if not already installed, as ‘mc’ provides an excellent program that can be run in a full screen text mode (in case you are trapped there) allowing one to edit files. It is function key menu driven and works well and is intuitive.

I almost missed this post because of the title. A better title would have been : “Acer Aspire in openSUSE-11.4 - no sound from external speakers nor does mic function”

What suggestions of mine did you try ?

I would like to help but I need more information.

Please provide the information requested to be provided from the quoted section in this multimedia stickie: Welcome to multimedia sub-area

I’m trying to figure out, what is an “Intel GM54 video” hardware? When I go to the eMachines web site eMachines Official Site - Notebook - eME527-2537 Product Details I see this:

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M with up to 1759MB of Intel® Dynamic Video Memory Technology 5.0 supporting Microsoft® DirectX® 10

If a 4500M it should work ok in openSUSE-11.4.

Hence I think one of my above suggestions should work. I would like to see the information I requested, thou.

I forgot to mention, after applying each of those edits, try rebooting with the ‘nomodeset’ boot code, and also without the ‘nomodeset’ boot code.

Thanks oldcpu,
Sorry for the confusion I caused, but I am really frustrated with the problems I have.
As to your questions and suggestions.
Tried the suggested mods in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf, yes I deleted the backup files. Anyway you slice it, I only get a readable screen starting with nomodeset.
Also disabled all special desktop effects.

Here is the code for
/sbin/lspci -nnk | grep VGA -A2

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a42] (rev 09)
Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Device [1025:0459]
00:02.1 Display controller [0380]: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2a43] (rev 09)

Here is the URL for Xorg.0.log
URL: SUSE Paste

Regarding the sound issue on the Acer, I followed ALL instructions as per the post started by megabooks 17-June-2011.

Thanks for your help
skylineds
DD

Being forced to use ‘nomodeset’ is not bad. It can always be added to an appropriate configuration file so you do not need to type it all the time. Did any of those 50-device.conf file recommendations (intel or intellegacy) work for you with nomodeset ? if so, which one ?

OK, that tells us an Intel Cantiga Mobile Integrated Graphics Controller ( PCI Devices ) which is a Mobile Intel® GL40 Express Chipset and likely the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD ( as noted in the thinkwiki Intel GMA 4500MHD - ThinkWiki which while for Lenovo has lots of useful information).

Ok, that tells us:

37.304]X.Org X Server 1.9.3  Release Date: 2010-12-13
    37.956] Current Operating System: Linux acer 2.6.37.6-0.7-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2011-07-21 02:17:24 +0200 x86_64
    37.956] Kernel command line: root=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-TOSHIBA_MK1665GSX_20C5F0ECS-part6 resume=/dev/disk/by-id/ata-TOSHIBA_MK1665GSX_20C5F0ECS-part5 splash=silent quiet **nomodeset** vga=0x318
    40.103] (II) LoadModule: "vboxvideo"
    40.106] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module vboxvideo
    40.106] (II) UnloadModule: "vboxvideo"
    40.106] (EE) Failed to load module "vboxvideo" (module does not exist, 0)
    40.116] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module vmwgfx
    40.116] (II) UnloadModule: "vmwgfx"
    40.116] (EE) Failed to load module "vmwgfx" (module does not exist, 0)
    40.116] (EE) vmware: Please ignore the above warnings about not being able to to load module/driver vmwgfx
    40.255] (II) **FBDEV(0):** using default device
    40.255] (WW) Falling back to old probe method for vesa
    40.255] (II) **FBDEV(0):** Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
        "fbdev" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
    40.255] (II) **FBDEV(0):** Modeline "current"x0.0   78.65  1024 1056 1184 1312  768 772 776 792 -hsync -vsync -csync (59.9 kHz)
    40.256] (==) **FBDEV(0)**: DPI set to (96, 96)

Clearly you are obtaining the fbdev driver. It appears to me you did NOT have an edit in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file when you ran that.

Those virtual box warnings puzzle me. … Are you doing something with Virtual Box ??

Those vmware warnings puzzle me. … Are you doing something with vmware ??

Thats nice. I don’t know what post that is. :frowning: … and I don’t know what errors you got when you followed those instructions from a post I am not familiar with.

I provided you a link indicating the information that would be useful to provide. Can you please provide that information ?

oldcpu,

I rebooted with an “empty”/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file.
Here is the URL:SUSE Paste

Prior to this last boot I started:
Boot without nomodeset
50-device.conf: added “intel”
Result:
Boot screen dimmed (black)

Boot without nomodeset
50-device.conf: added “intellegacy”
Result:

Boot without nomodeset
50-device.conf: removed “intellagy”
Result:

Boot with nomodeset
50-device.conf: added “intel”
Result:
Boot screen readable, though “stretched”

Boot with nomodeset
50-device.conf: added “intellegacy”
Result:

Boot with nomodeset
50-device.conf: removed “intellagy”
Result:

I have done absolutely nothing that could cause the virtual box and** vmware** warnings.
My software is up-to-date with all patches.
Will make a detailed report on my sound issues on the Acer.

BTW here is some additional hardware information, I hope you can use.
YaST Hardware Information:
Display:
Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset
Class (spec): VGA-compatible controler

Resources
x11
intel
version: 4
server: intel
intel
version: 4
has_3d: Yes
server: intel

Framebuffer:
max resolution shown is 1024 x 768 (8,16,24 colors)

Framebuffer Device:
Intel Cantiga Graphics Controler
Bus: None
Class (spec): VESA framebuffer
Resources
Framebuffer
max resolution shown is 1024 x 768 (8,16,24 colors)

Monitor:
LP156WH1-TLA3
Class (spec): LCD Monitor

Resources:
Resolution
Height: 768
Vertical Frequency:60
Width: 1366

Thanks for your help
skylineds
DD

oldcpu,

I forgot to mention that 2 identical machines with openSUSE 11.3 installed do not have this problem.

skylineds
DD

What graphic driver are you using on those identical openSUSE-11.3 PCs where this works properly ? ie confirm no /etc/X11/xorg.conf file in those, and no edits to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf in those, and what is output of command:

/sbin/lpsci -nnk | grep VGA -A2
xrandr

on one of those identical PCs. I would also be curious to see the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file of a PC that is functioning properly.

That tells me the FBDEV graphic driver loaded.

I would like to see the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file associated with this ‘intel’ and ‘nomodeset’.

I would like to see the /var/log/Xorg.0.log file associated with this ‘intellegacy’ and ‘nomodeset’.

Did you try with ‘vesa’ instead of ‘intel’ or ‘intellegacy’ in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-device.conf file (and booting to no modeset).

I assume that is a typo and you actually used ‘intellegacy’. Note ‘intellegacy’ stands for “Intel Legacy graphic driver” and it is simply an older version of the Intel graphic driver packaged with a different name.

Ok, thanks. Those messages are puzzling.

I confess in the context of this thread and what we have discussed thus far, I mostly do not know what to do with that (except monitor info). Maybe you could teach me as to why it may be useful ?

That could be interesting to know, if accurate.

oldcpu,

Working on a complete response to your suggestions. “The Identical” laptop will be in later today. In the meantime, what is your opinion on downgrading X11 to openSuse 11.3 ??
Thanks,
skylineds
Dick Davis

Unless you have specific confirmed reason that openSUSE-11.3 will function better, I would not recommend ‘downgrading’ from 11.4 to 11.3.