I am trying to install 10.3 on my Asus EEE pc, but KDE refuses to use the resolution set by Sax/Xorg. I have set both 1024x600 (native) and 800x600 by both manually editing xorg, and through sax. No matter what I do KDE decides to use the 1024x786 resolution, which xorg doesn’t even claim my monitor is capable of handling.
(I’ve already looked at the EEE wiki, but it’s video directions don’t work for the 901 as they are designed for the 701)
well… I feel stupid now… I didn’t see the 901 fix at the bottom…
For anyone who has this same problem, this is the fix
Fix the Screen Resolution
It is assumed you will be using KDE 4.0 for the instructions in this section.
1. Log in as root user (the system administrator's account is named "root").
2. Run YaST by right-clicking anywhere on the desktop there is no icon or other widget.
3. A menu list will appear. Left-click on "Run Command" from this menu list. A dialog box will appear where you can enter the name of the program you want to run. In the top text field of this dialog box, enter "yast" (without typing the quote marks). Using the mouse pointer, scroll down to the bottom of the programs listed in the dialog box and click on "YaST (Application)". Left-click the button in the lower right hand corner of the dialog box labeled "Launch".
4. The main YaST screen will appear. From YaST, choose "System" from the left hand column, then choose "/etc/sysconfig Editor" from the right-hand column.
5. Next you will see a list of options on the left hand column.
6. Left-click on the plus sign next to "Desktop" in the left hand column, then left-click on the plus sign next to "Display manager", also in the left hand column.
7. Next, left-click on the line in the Display manager section labeled "DISPLAYMANAGER_RANDR_MODE_auto", also in the left hand column. You will see towards the top of the screen a text box that shows you the current default value of:
1024x768_60 64.11 1024 1080 1184 1344 768 769 772 795 -HSync +Vsync
Left-click in the text box. Change the default value above to
1024X600_60 48.96 1024 1064 1168 1312 600 601 604 622 -hsync -vsync
1. Left click on the button in the lower right hand corner of the screen labeled "Finish".
2. Either log out to the login screen and restart the X server by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice in a row; or reboot. When you log in again, you will be able to see the entire screen including the panel on the bottom.