E-mail Signature Question

I’m using vim+mutt to write e-mails on google imap. When I include a signature file to be used, and that file contains an ASCII signature, it is badly displayed by the web-based e-mail client (the lines look miswrapped, which makes the signature unintelligible). However, if I copy the same signature to be included in gmail web-based client (in settings > use signature) and send an e-mail using it, it is correctly displayed. I’m pretty much interested in finding a solution to this, as I don’t know if it has to do with the formatting of the message in vim or anything else.

Hi
You need to verify your encoding and what is being used on the website.
For example check the email headers I use “Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=UTF-8” on both claws and firefox/forum.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.9-desktop
up 2:00, 4 users, load average: 0.16, 0.08, 0.06
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 290.10

Hi Malcolm,
Thank you so much for your reply! I saw the following on the header of the web-based (new) yahoo client

Subject: las
Message-ID: <20000109123818.GA16901@gmail.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Disposition: inline
User-Agent: Mutt/1.5.21 (2010-09-15)
Content-Length: 317

So this is the character set for the message sent via Mutt… I should change it to utf-8 maybe. How can I change the char encoding for the web-based e-mail client?

Best,

Just checked and saw that mutt detects the charset utf-8 and is set so. After

:set &charset ?charset

I get

charset="utf-8"

Hi
So what does the web based client use? Or does changing to UTF-8 from
mutt resolve the issue?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.4 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.37.6-0.9-desktop
up 5:06, 3 users, load average: 0.12, 0.16, 0.12
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - Driver Version: 290.10

Unfortunately it didn’t solve the issue. Even so, the sig is distorted. I don’t know how to check and modify the encoding of the web-based client. :frowning:

I found where to set language encoding for the web clients (gmail and yahoo). Still no clear sig :slight_smile:

But you know what? “I’ve learned something today…” :slight_smile:

Maybe I’ll post a Mutt bug (or fly). It should be possible to send figlet font ASCII signatures without being distorted.