DVD still enabled in software sources after install - bug report?

I just installed 12.2 on my new laptop using the DVD image instead of a live CD. After it completed, I couldn’t install any software because the DVD was still listed as an enabled repo in YaST - I had to delete it before I could install anything. If I were new to openSUSE, I would have replaced it with Ubuntu or Windows straight away after that…

Has anyone else run into this? I couldn’t find a bug report, but I presume it would happen to everyone who installed from the DVD - should I make one?

Yes, the DVD is still enabled by default after install. Maybe it should be so and is wanted by the devs for people without or bad internet connection. No clue.
No big thing to remove it from repolist after install. :wink:

I disagree - this completely blocks new users from installing software and there is no explaination as to why, just a cryptic error message. If leaving the DVD repo enabled is desired by some people (which I guess it could be if your download speed is poor and the DVD contains more software than the patterns you’re able to select at install time), then there should be an option that clearly explains the implications of leaving it enabled.

I know Grandma isn’t our target audience, but this feels like we’re going out of our way to get rid of her. :confused:

You can post your request here: https://features.opensuse.org/

On 12/08/2012 05:16 PM, Golbats Everywhere wrote:
> there is no explaination as to why, just a cryptic error message.

please tell us what your error message said…

as far as i recall it says something like ‘can’t find DVD 1’ or ‘please
insert Disk 1’ or something like that…if you didn’t understand what
the error said, maybe the FATE you write should be to just make the
error more useful…

so, please (in your FATE) suggest what you think would be a helpful and
non-cryptic error…


dd

On 2012-12-08 17:16, Golbats Everywhere wrote:
>
> zerum;2509468 Wrote:
>> Yes, the DVD is still enabled by default after install. Maybe it should
>> be so and is wanted by the devs for people without or bad internet
>> connection. No clue.
>> No big thing to remove it from repolist after install. :wink:
> I disagree - this completely blocks new users from installing software
> and there is no explaination as to why, just a cryptic error message.

It doesn’t block me.

I have the DVD enabled, and if I start YaST without the DVD, it doesn’t
ask me to put it in, it just goes on and uses the online sources. I just
have it on “no refresh”.


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

Better disable it. Then it is still there if you need it, but it is no more an annoyance.

BTW, as far as I have seen, it is normaly disabled after installation. But more people then the OP here report the same. Thus my conclusion that there is a reason for it while some have the problem and other not. I do not know why. But before filing a bug or a feature request, it would be very usefull if somebody found out.

as I have seen, it is normally disabled after installation
No, not the DVD
The CD - yes

And if you leave it enabled but don’t have the DVD in, it will bug you about it. Contrary to one comment made above.

It’s not a bug that it is enabled and I usually disable it after install + all patches and the recommends are installed.

I wiill pay more attention next time :wink:
BUt why is it not disableD then? IMHO the DVD is only because the earlier CD (and in between the multiple CDs) is to small. Why then this different behaviour?

I don’t want to reinstall just to discover what the error message was, but it’s something like that. I guessed immediately what was wrong and what to do, but I’m not a new user and I’ve heard about a similar issue on Mageia.

I’m disinclined to open a Fate for this - seems like Fate is more for “nice to have” stuff like Grub2, Dracut, themes, etc. than serious usability issues (software installation is BROKEN by DEFAULT!). I’d rather bug report it, but first a question for Carlos: did you set the DVD to “no refresh” yourself? If leaving the DVD repo enabled wouldn’t be a problem as long as it was set to no refresh by default, that would be a potential solution. (My problem is that I don’t remember the default settings, and I’d rather not reinstall to check - though I’ve got a spare partition and certainly could.)

The live CD is copied to your system “as-is” - everything that’s on it gets installed by default, so it can’t be used as a software repo. The DVD, in contrast, is packed with stuff that doesn’t get installed by default.

On 2012-12-08 23:36, Golbats Everywhere wrote:

> rather bug report it, but first a question for Carlos: did you set the
> DVD to “no refresh” yourself?

I don’t remember.
I’m looking at two other virtualized installs of 12.1 and they are both
set the same way. I doubt I did that myself (one of those installs is
not even updated).


Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 12.1 x86_64 “Asparagus” at Telcontar)

On 12/08/2012 11:36 PM, Golbats Everywhere wrote:
> I’d rather bug report it

your first post asked: “I couldn’t find a bug report … should
I make one?”

which i answered with a pointer to FACT.

personally, i don’t think most of the developers will see it as a huge
problem because:

-if the DVD is in the machine = no error

-if the DVD is not in the machine = it asks the user to insert it

-if user gets tired of inserting the DVD every update there are already
several hundred answered questions in this forum where they can learn
how to disable the repo

but, if you want to do a bug report, do that…

whatever you decide, please post the (bug or FATE) number and URL back
to this thread so those who google in looking for an answer can self
navigate to the bug for possible workarounds


dd

Hello all,
This also happens when using a USB pen with the iso to install it, as it would seem logical. It tries to load the repo, complains, goes on and in the end tells you there’s been a problems with repos.
So the only real PIA here is having to wait for the repo to time out.

OTOH I’m trying to discern if installing from usb (which is what I’ve mostly done lately) is what makes Grub2 a nono since I seem to find many people don’t have problems with it while it’s in my dreams like every other night :wink:

Have fun people!

I use a USB DVD all the time and it behaves as would a optical DVD. But I have not found USB Live CD’s to remain a active repo source post install.
The only gripe I have with LiveCD installs is the user dir it create at /home
I have found no issues regarding Grub2 using the USB DVD and can’t imagine why there would be any difference between the USB DVD and the Optical DVD and or the Live CD

Lo Caf! :slight_smile:

I meant USB stick with and iso image :wink:

Yes I know
I was just making clear that could be a CD or a DVD
And the results I experience…

Interested persons might want to take note, that the best way to make a bootable USB is with Imagewriter (it’s in the repos)

I am not talking about a live CD, but of CD(s) as they were used earlier instead of a DVD now: for a normal installation. This to extend my memory about the installation disabling the install medium (years ago the CD, nowadays the DVD) back in time. And I repeat that my (maybe bad) memory, in the old days the install CD and nowadyas the DVD are disabled at the end of the installation.

Rereading your first post here. I see you say “… using the DVD image instead of a live CD.”. This rereading lets me consider what exactly you say here. First it seems that you think that using a live CD is the more common way to intsall (because you explicitly say “instead of a live CD”, where you do not mention all other possibilityies like net install). IMHO the DVD install. is the most used. But more important I read “DVD image” instaed of “DVD”. This makes me uncertain and now I ask myself if I understand what you id.

And not understanding will of course influence the value of my answers :frowning:

While an eventual misunderstanding may be due compelety to me, illustrating your first post with computer facts might have made everything more clear than just your story. Something like a

zypper lr -d

either with the situation you found, or with the disabled (and thus still interpretable) repo in it.

@caf, yeah, what I was actually thinking about is that using a CD or DVD, no matter whether live or not, it mounts them as sr? while when using a USB stick it mounts it as sd?. Hence the question: does having the install source as another sd somehow tricks Grub2?

@hcvv, heheh, your memory is fine but for the fact that it wasn’t that long ago :smiley:
Back in 10.x times, if my memory serves me too, install source repos weren’t disabled. Later there was a change and they got disabled after installation and now they remain enabled again, at least those I tried, mostly usb sticks as I said, and those Caf said.

I am fine with this interesting discussion here (and it is about a subject where it seems that most of us do not know the last bit of), but I am against mixing a Grub2 question in. Please one problem per thread. Most of our audiuence will not see this Grub2 bussiness when there is no new thread with a telling title. And they will thus miss the show. >:)

Yep, you’re so correct. I realized the topic was losing focus in my last post. Sorry.
Might be due to my late lack of posting habit… :open_mouth:
lol!