DVD install hangs

I downloaded the 11.1 iso on my HP 9000 Laptop and used Nero to burn a DVD.

After burning the DVD I booted from the DVD on that machine and checked the installation media, and it was ok.

Then I took the DVD to the desired machine where I wanted to install 11.1 and it would hang after loading the kernel and the progress bar doesn’t move, no matter what option I select on the installation menu.

The target machine is a Gateway GX7018E with a 3 GHZ P4 and 2GB RAM and 250 GB HD with 140GB free.

I suspect that the older machine’s DVD (either one) is just not compatible with the newer machines lightscribe DVD burner.

What are the alternatives?

Ollie

More likely you need to try some of the options under F3 at the boot menu for installation ( vesa, text, )
Consider trying ( acpi=off ) kernel argument

MikeOliverAZ typed this message at us in
opensuse.org.help.install-boot-login:

> The target machine is a Gateway GX7018E with a 3 GHZ P4 and 2GB RAM and
> 250 GB HD with 140GB free.
>
> I suspect that the older machine’s DVD (either one) is just not
> compatible with the newer machines lightscribe DVD burner.
>
> What are the alternatives?

If the Gateway GX7018E can boot off the network then setup your laptop so
that he can boot and install SUSE from it. This can all be done in YaST.

That’s one alternative.

Download the net install iso and write the image to a CD or USB drive and
see if you can boot from that and do a net install over the Internet.
That’s the best type of install IMHO.

That’s another alternative.

F3 had no effect.

I tried “No acpi” also no effect.

net install has same problem it shows the progress screen but no progress.

Will see if I can get it to boot from the LAN

“F3 had no effect”? What do you mean? Did it not bring up the options?

Sorry too obtuse.

None of the options on F3 had any effect. On the graphic modes it hangs at the initial progress indicator on text mode it hangs at starting udev…

Ollie

Have you tried a Live CD?

Try this, this steps resolved my issue

reboot your PC goto bios settings, select power option(mostly a seperate tab) and disable timer settings which is mostly with a strange 4 letter name.

“XXXX” <Enable>
make it to
“XXXX” <Disable>

Reboot and try installing opensuse

Ok this is an obtuse way of clearing the problem and not a recommended solution.

I tried installing another linux…I know, bad Ollie…but it reported better what wasn’t working and then a search on their forum showed that it was related to NVidia Video Cards and incompatible drivers.

I had the NVidia for its dual monitors which I no long want on my Suse Linux, so I yanked it, and tried the Suse Linux install and its cooking along like crazy…happy camper.
rotfl!