dvb-s install problem

opensuse 11 64 bit, kde, but gnome with vmplayer.
msi laptop: nvidia 8600, dualcore, 3Gb,320 Gb.

question: how to get a “/dev/video0” linked to my usb-dvb-s tv card?

Well, searching by other distributions I found a simple and perfect todo concerning the installation of “cynergy s usb”, a quite interesting dvb-s usb card, very diffused in germany and vicinities.
The blog ends with the words “after that, reboot and enjoy your tv card!”. So, after rebooting, I got in dmesg:

dvb-usb: found a ‘TerraTec Cinergy S USB’ in cold state, will try to load a firmware
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol v4l_compat_ioctl32
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol v4l_compat_ioctl32
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol v4l_compat_translate_ioctl
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol v4l_compat_translate_ioctl
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol video_devdata
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol video_devdata
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol video_unregister_device
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol video_unregister_device
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol video_device_alloc
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol video_device_alloc
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol video_register_device
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol video_register_device
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol video_usercopy
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol video_usercopy
uvcvideo: disagrees about version of symbol video_device_release
uvcvideo: Unknown symbol video_device_release

dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file ‘dvb-usb-dw2102.fw’
dw2102: start downloading DW2102 firmware
dvb-usb: found a ‘TerraTec Cinergy S USB’ in warm state.
dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
DVB: registering new adapter (TerraTec Cinergy S USB)

dw2102: Attached stv0299!

DVB: registering frontend 0 (ST STV0299 DVB-S)…
input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.7/usb2/2-1/input/input9
dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 150 msecs.
dvb-usb: TerraTec Cinergy S USB successfully initialized and connected.
usbcore: registered new interface driver dw2102

Excellent, but Suse didn’t want to recognize the new child in question(“unknown device”), and didn’t even born /dev/video0.
If she didn’t like to do it for my webcam imagine if she would do it for a tv card. On the other hand, a pc and an os are just for periferal attaching.
the tv card section in yast is a chaos of tv cards, webcams and perhaps else. I was unable to find a reference to my dvb-s card, despite I know it should be there.

Grateful for any suggestion!

PS
I know that in a fiew days “intrepid” will come with all such drivers already in the kernel, but I am against divorcing…

> I know that in a fiew days “intrepid” will come with all such drivers
> already in the kernel, but I am against divorcing…

Intrepid has a 2.6.27 kernel. If you go to
http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3?stat=3&search=kernel-default&srodzaj=3&dist]=46
you will find RPMs with the new kernel for your architecture. Download
and install the appropriate one, and you will have everything that
Intrepid will do for you.

Larry

thanks Larry! :slight_smile:
I already purchased the suse 11 box to sustain them, however…
my dvb driver works well, kaffeine finds the channels, but is unable to save the results.
the linux history is filled with vanishing device files. so, under suse:
su
cd /usr/src/linux/Documentation/video4linux/bttv
./MAKEDEV

and you get reinstalled the missing device files.
after that:

v4l-info

open /dev/video0: No such file or directory

but now the files are still on place. you reboot and everything is gone again.
so, perhaps MAKEDEV has the wrong permissions: do what you like and nothing changes. my webcam was installed out of the box but worked just once: when I installed skype.
slowly things are taking an esoteric dimension, time for a “cool solution”: I reinstall skype and instead I use video0 for my tv.
thanks for your interest, :slight_smile:

SOLVED!
since a week I watch tv on kaffeine.

SOLVED!
since a week I watch tv in kaffeine.

The process is complicated, I should check again the in between changed material and and test everything before posting the solution. That means a lot of work. Nobody shows interest about, so I don’t feel to have such a duty, watching tv looks preferable. Thank you.

Dear Capodastro,

I empathise with your decision to watch televison rather than typing out a complicated how-to regarding the installation of the tv-card! However, it would be greatly appreciated - by my humble self - if you attempted at least a brief outline of the configuration process :slight_smile:

You could even go as far as utilising the advertising breaks between the shows that you are currently watching to contribute to the linuxtv.org entry on this particular DVB-S USB device! TerraTec Cinergy S USB - LinuxTVWiki

Warm regards from cold Austria,
Phil.

Addendum: In the first post you state that you found an existing how-to for the Cynergy S USB card (albeit for a different distribution). If you still remember where you found it, could you please post a link? Thanks!

Dear philanthropist,
sorry for being so late, but in fact ORF1 is a real addiction. Also friendly regards from the not cold Vorarlberg. Italy would be better, but there one has to pay the “Sunshine Tax” and I find it too expensive. Well, and now no longer kidding.
The real problem is the continuously changing v4l-dvb, what makes patches wrong after a very short time. I will work on this issue, but I get very busy in my free time by installing Suse on laptops by other people and making in this way a doctor title in OpenSUSE bugs, however, in order to reach such qualification, perhaps I should also learn about psychiatry. :slight_smile:
bis bald.

OK, SOLVED for you.

The issue:
after downloading yesterday the last v4l source, today already changed :), I found a post by the driver author, a Russian code poet, with all technical instructions about adding in the source the support for Cinergy S USB. This post is at this time 4 days old and quite difficult to find. I had to consider also all patches around the net, despite they are no longer working. At some time it was possible to patch the drivers automatically getting easily the card working. For now, all patches, with no exclusion, are not working and people ask around about drivers for the mentioned card. Don’t ask me why v4l didn’t integrate the card in the trunk, cutting out in such way the support by kernel 27. The changes in the
source code doesn’t affect in any way the support for the other 3 cards already in the code.So, many Intrepid users are unhappy. If I understand exactly, the card should be supported first under kernel 28. On the other
hand, this card is already very popular and not just in the Central Europe: in my personal opinion good quality, affordable price, platform independent remote control, a
separate version for MAC, and also ideal for laptops. They didn’t pay me for advertising. :slight_smile: Well, shortly about dvb cards:
they belong to 2 different families, called “budget” and “premium”. The difference resides in the decoding technique, software (codecs) or hardware (chip) related. The “premium” cards are also 2-3 times more expensive as the budget, but by modern PCs they don’t perform better. Furthermore, the “budget” are more flexible by different tasks like decrypting, what is not necessarily illegal. For example, I own an ORF1 satellite card.

The solution:
In the attachment, compressed up 1.9 Mb, you will find:

• the source already patched
  • the firmware
  • a readme for beginners, but all what you have to do is type make and make install
  • the used link and acknowledgment to the author

I tested everything and I use the same driver for watching TV with Kaffeine 3.

I will open a new post in order to make the driver easy to find also for people using other distributions.

Have fun!

well, this forum doesn’t permits to post attachments, so I will post somewhere else and let you know.

Good evening Capodastro!

No need to apologise for anything - I am so thankful for your help! Being one of those people who also happen to have a life outside this virtual world, I can understand your situation :slight_smile:

Well, since I have not been watching much TV of late (for obvious reasons) I spent my free time with friends, trips around Europe and reading newspapers / books. Actually it was very pleasant! Nevertheless I am looking forward to lazy evenings on my couch watching random shows, eating Lebkuchen and drinking Glühwein…

It’s really cool that you took the time and effort to explain the problem and methodology regarding this dvb-s card! I hope you figure out a way to make the compressed file accessible, so I can give it a go. Should this prove difficult I could of course give you my e-mail address.

Thanks again for everything and Servus aus Wien,
Phil.

N.B. I agree that the Terratec card is really good value for money. It worked perfectly on another (Windows) laptop… This I had to lend to a friend some time ago, so I am now really looking forward to finally getting the card to work on Suse!