dumping a dvd to individal files

Hello,

I have an home made dvd with 26 chapters.

I need each chapter as individual mpg files.

I can’t process the source (I’m not at home). My present computer is very old, and processing in a gui is difficult. That’s why I look for a batch process.

cpdvd seems to simply copy the dvd (don’t see the difference from an ordinary cp?)
dvdrip and ogmrip want to compress the résult (no mpg - copy option on target)

do you have any clue?

thanks
jdd

The chapters on a DVD are already in MPEG2 format, see here: MPEG-2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia but it may not be the MPG format that you are expecting, i.e. transcoding required to reduce the size, rate, whatever.

I used to rip DVDs and encode to MPG using handbrake from the command line. I think dvdrip can also do this but you need external transcoding tools installed (ffmpeg?), whereas handbrake bundled everything into one binary.

Transcoding is very CPU intensive and if your computer can’t handle a GUI, you may find it will literally take days. Even on my several year old system, it took overnight to do one DVD. So I were you I would find out first if you can just use the DVD VOB files as is.

I need a simple copy (to have each chapter in a separate file).

I used to rip DVDs and encode to MPG using handbrake from the command line. I think dvdrip can also do this but you need external transcoding tools installed (ffmpeg?), whereas handbrake bundled everything into one binary.

handbrake, like the others, allow only mp4 or mkv, no “copy” or “mpg” option (

Transcoding is very CPU intensive and if your computer can’t handle a GUI, you may find it will literally take days. Even on my several year old system, it took overnight to do one DVD. So I were you I would find out first if you can just use the DVD VOB files as is.

I can’t select a frame in GUI, but I can select options. Running the computer for hours is not a problem (if I don’t have to stay there :-). I just need a programm that use the chapter information to split the video into separate files, one for each chapter, with as little as possible reincoding (just rebuild key frames on cut if necessary. Cut on next key frame is better)

thanks
jdd

You might want to see how handbrake computes the chapter boundaries and use that to combine and slice the VOB files which I think are logically several large files chopped up to stay within filesystem limits. IIRC you can run it in a scan mode to list the titles and chapters.

right, but I feel a bit light in scripting to do that automatically.

It’s curious that no utilty do this as it’s pretty simple for them (the chapter thing is already included). May be I could ask on the handbrake list :slight_smile:

thanks
jdd

If all you’re wanting is each chapter saved as an individual file, your best option might be DVDFab running in wine. I use DVDFab to rip my DVD collection and then handbrake to transcode it, but DVDFab works fine for extracting individual chapters. I can also confirm that about 90% of the program works in wine just fine.

Use the “Main Movie” section to extract individual chapters. Once they are extracted, they will be in individual VIDEO_TS folders with other files in them. The one you want is the .VOB file. Simply move that file to the directory you want and change the file extension to .MPG. Should work fine. The files will be a bit large, but will work. You can transcode them later to shrink them if need be.

DVDFab has a free trial for 30 days before you need to buy or uninstall and that free trial allows you to use all of the program.

It is long ago but I think dvdrip (should be in packman) can do that. It
uses transcode under the hood so I am afraid it runs a full conversion
when ripping the chapters from the dvd.

PC: oS 11.4 (dual boot 12.1) 64 bit | Intel Core i7-2600@3.40GHz | KDE
4.6.0 | GeForce GT 420 | 16GB Ram
Eee PC 1201n: oS 11.4 64 bit | Intel Atom 330@1.60GHz | KDE 4.7.4 |
nVidia ION | 3GB Ram

On 2011-12-14 14:56, Martin Helm wrote:
> It is long ago but I think dvdrip (should be in packman) can do that. It
> uses transcode under the hood so I am afraid it runs a full conversion
> when ripping the chapters from the dvd.
>

No, it first does a ripping out of the vob files, and later does a
conversion/clipping/filtering/whatever. You can stop at the ripping stage.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” at Telcontar)