Dualbooting openSUSE Leap 42.1 and Ubuntu 14.04.3 - how?

I first installed Leap 42.1 - fine! The I installed Ubuntu. Next time booting only the Ubuntu boot loader showed up, no more openSUSE. I then booted the openSUSE rescue login. Could not solve the problem, but next time booting, openSUSE Leap 42.1 was back again, only a possibility to boot Ubuntu was missing. How can I tell any of those 2 GRUB2-efi OS to present me a dual boot option.

YAST2 does not present any editing possibilities, nor do UBUNTU´s system tools.
I am a newbie and that is why I got stuck.
Any help available? Thanks in advance!

Usually, the boot menu for opensuse would show an entry to boot ubuntu, and the boot menu for ubuntu would show a menu entry for opensuse. That is, unless you disabled the option to probe foreign operating systems.

On many UEFI systems, you can hit F12 during boot, and the BIOS will list several boot options.

While you are booted to either system, try the command:

# efibootmgr -v

That probably needs to be run as root, so use “sudo” or a root shell. It should tell you what boot options are known to your firmware (or BIOS).

Thank you for your quick response and good help, but something went wrong.

I changed the bootnext option to: 0000
bootorder was changed to: 0000, 0001, 2001
timeout from 0 to 30 seconds

So according to efibootmgr Ubuntu should have been the first option with 30 seconds time to change it.
Alas, again openSUSE booted giving no option to change to Ubuntu.
And see what the configuration was then, when I could use your suggested command in openSUSE:

inux-mobilebase:~ # efibootmgr -v
BootCurrent: 0000
Timeout: 30 seconds
BootOrder: 0001,0000,2001
Boot0000* Ubuntu HD(1,800,4e000,221cafbf-5ebd-4836-a1e0-0e1f39439f19)File(\EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi)RC
Boot0001* opensuse-secureboot HD(1,800,4e000,221cafbf-5ebd-4836-a1e0-0e1f39439f19)File(\EFI\opensuse\shim.efi)
Boot2001* EFI USB Device RC

The only option that stayed unchanged after my reconfiguration is the timeout, bootorder was changed to openSUSE again and boot current can not be corrrect, because if it was I should write these lines in Ubuntu as opposed to openSUSE.

Any hits to this puzzle?

Installing any operating system is going to change the boot order to put that first.

You can change the boot order yourself, with something like

# efibootmgr -o 0000,0001,2001

or even

# efibootmgr -o 0,1

That change should stick until there’s an update to boot software that causes some automatic reconfiguration.

You can also change the next boot with:

# efibootmgr -n 0

(which should boot ubuntu next, but keep the current boot order except during the next boot.

When booting ubuntu or opensuse, there is normally a grub boot menu (unless you did something to turn that off). The menu should be in “/boot/grub2/grub.cfg” for opensuse or “/boot/grub/grub.cfg” for ubuntu. You might want to browse through those menus to see if the ubuntu menu has an entry to boot opensuse and the opensuse menu has an entry to boot ubuntu.

Note that I am not suggesting that you change the menus. The “grub.cfg” file is a bit complex, but searching for the strings “opensuse” or “ubuntu” should be easy enough. The idea is just to see if the menus are supposed to have entries to boot the other system.

That’s unfortunately correct. Boot menu is static and specific to each distribution. It was first built when you installed openSUSE and no Ubuntu was present. Then you installed Ubuntu but menu in openSUSE did not change. You need to boot openSUSE and run “update-bootloader --refresh” so it picks up anything installed later.