Dual Monitors Sax test works, reboot broken

So I have a dual monitor set up (extended desktop), it works in XP, then I dual boot into OpenSUSE 11 configure Sax2, the test works just fine,. Save the configuration restart the graphics system (init 3, then back with init 5) and here starts the trouble.

I get the left half on one screen to display the desktop/windows/menus, but the right half and the entire second screen is black. The kicker is that the mouse can be seen on both screens over the black even.

Any ideas? If any info more info is needed please let me know.

Thanks!
ToyMakerII

well after some playing around, I went to runlevel 3 ran startx and KDE started up working just fine (extended desktop and everything). exit, tried gnome, and no joy. now sax2 wont even start

quick question from me. I am a newbie so i my help offerings are limited.

1. What video card do you have, Nvidia, Ati?

2. Did you install all the updates before playing around with settings? I had various problems with the dual monitor setup (see my post: Sluggish response with Dual monitor setup when moving items - openSUSE Forums ) and after performing an update and following the steps to install ATI drivers and get fglrx working they were sorted.

3. Do you backup your xorg.conf file before changes so you can go back to last good state?

cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup

this way if something goes wrong you can always log into a terminal and restore the backup and start testing again.

1. malcomlewis advised me to upgrade to KDE 4.1 in my post because 4.0 is not as stable. You may want to do the same (provided you can get it working again wihtout reinstlling)

And on a final note, with my dual monitor setup, I do sometimes get the black screen on one side where i can move windows too but I have lost wallpaper and so on, and after a restart its fine. I still havent figured out exactly why, but as I said I am completely new to linux and just trying many things till I have a setp I’m happy with. I ams till hoping some experienced user can help me out with my video card issues. If you have an ATI, I can guide you through the steps I took as a newbie :slight_smile:

1)I am using and ATI card (possibly the problem according to word around the office)

1. my system is completely up to date

2. yes I do back up /wtc/X11/xorg.conf

3. I am actually trying to use Gnome as there are several apps that I am currently using that do not support KDE

Hi
Can you run the following so we can look at your xorg config and log
file?

curl -F file=@/etc/X11/xorg.conf nopaste.com/a

curl -F file=@/var/log/Xorg.0.log nopaste.com/a

Then post back the two URL’s from the above commands.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.1-default
up 2 days 3:54, 1 user, load average: 0.75, 0.29, 0.16
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80

This is with the current setup, if you would like it with extended desktop on let me know.

xorg.conf - nopaste.com (beta)
Xorg.0.log - nopaste.com (beta)

Hi
Yes, can you paste with the extended xorg setup and the xorg log :slight_smile:

Is there some sort of ATI tool like nvidia-xconfig?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 11.0 x86 Kernel 2.6.25.18-0.1-default
up 2 days 20:37, 1 user, load average: 0.73, 0.45, 0.26
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 177.80

now for some reason sax2 wont start…

SaX: initializing please wait…
SaX: your current configuration will not be read in

SaX: access to your display has been granted
SPP: prepare device [0] profile: Depth24
SPP: prepare device [0] profile: Radeon
SPP: calling device [0] profile script: Radeon
SPP: including prepared profile(s)…

SaX: startup