Dual monitor setup in 11.3

Hi all,

A couple of days ago I installed the brand new OpenSUSE 11.3 in my work computer, choosing KDE as desktop. The machine is equipped with an ATI Radeon X550 video card which feeds two 1600x1200 Dell monitors, one connected through VGA and the other through DVI; the first positioned horizontally and the second vertically.

Everything works fine except that I wasn’t able to make the multi-monitor setup work as intended. Both monitors are detected and work, but both show copies of the same windows. I would like them to show different pieces of desktop so that I can have different windows in each screen. In theory, the YaST monitor setup section lets me configure this, with options “copy”, “left”, “right”, “above”, “below”, etc.; but only the “copy” option works, the rest of them show garbage in one of the monitors. There is also a specific “multi-monitor” section in YaST, but it is disabled in my install. It says that that section only works if I have configured my machine to work with multiple monitors and that that is not the case.

I have checked the documentation and forums about how to fix this, but I don’t see any solutions. I have read that some people fix problems with their graphics by installing the proprietary drivers, but I have only seen references to 3D problems, not to multi-monitor setup problems. I have also read that the proprietary drivers can be unstable (and they require some command-line fiddling) so I would prefer not to try them if they are not going to solve my problem.

So, does anyone know if this problem is solved with the proprietary drivers? And if not, any other solutions? Or is it just impossible to get multi-monitor working with this video card in OpenSUSE?

Thanks for your attention.

I’m assuming you’re currently using the open source radeon driver (as I am with X300 M22 chipset). This is compliant with RandR 1.2, and as such you should be able to configure with either the ‘xrandr’ command, or via

KDE Menu > System Settings > Display (Configure for multiple monitors).

This is a good xrandr reference:

Xorg RandR 1.2 - ThinkWiki

For more info on xrandr:

xrandr --help

If you need further help with this, post the ouput of

xrandr

For example, the DVI connected monitor rotated left, with the VGA connected monitor to the right of the first monitor:

xrandr --output DVI-0 --auto --rotate left --pos 0x0 --primary --output VGA-0  --auto  --rotate  normal --right-of DVI-0

Thanks a lot, I will try all this tomorrow when I get to work, which is where I have that machine :slight_smile:

Hi,

I use the driver that comes with opensuse 11.3, which I think is the free radeon driver.

Unfortunately, this solution didn’t work for me. The xrandr command seems to work for some configurations and crash with others, unfortunately the one I want crashes. It sends me back to the login screen (so it crashes the X server, I guess?)

In particular, for example:

1. xrandr --verbose --output VGA-0 --auto --rotate left → works fine, rotates my vertical monitor.

2. xrandr --verbose --output VGA-0 --auto --left-of DVI-0 → works fine by itself, but crashes if executed after 1.

3. xrandr --verbose --output VGA-0 --auto --left-of DVI-0 --rotate left → this is the command that in theory would achieve everything I want in one go, but it crashes. I also tried the variant

xrandr --output VGA-0 --auto --rotate left --pos 0x0 --primary --output DVI-0 --auto --rotate normal --right-of VGA-0

But it crashes as well. So it seems like xrandr just doesn’t like the way I have set up my monitors :confused:

When I try to set it up from the display settings instead of using the command line, the same things happen.

Here is my xrandr output:

carlos@mortadelo:~> xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1600 x 1600, maximum 4096 x 4096
VGA-0 connected 1200x1600+0+0 left (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 367mm x 275mm
   1600x1200      60.0*+
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0  
   1152x864       75.0  
   1024x768       75.1     60.0  
   800x600        75.0     60.3  
   640x480        75.0     60.0  
   720x400        70.1  
DVI-0 connected 1600x1200+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 367mm x 275mm
   1600x1200      60.0*+
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0  
   1152x864       75.0  
   1024x768       75.1     60.0                                                                                                    
   800x600        75.0     60.3                                                                                                    
   640x480        75.0     60.0                                                                                                    
   720x400        70.1                                                                                                             
S-video disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

Does anyone have an idea of how to fix this?

But it crashes as well. So it seems like xrandr just doesn’t like the way I have set up my monitors :confused:

Although I’ve read many threads concerning dual screen config, I’m not so familiar with rotated monitors. This might be a hardware limitation - I’m not sure.

1. Just for interest’s sake, what happens if you try rotating the DVI-0 monitor instead? Does that crash X?

2. Did you try disabling the desktop effects first as well?

I included a link to this thread only because it has a similar config (with lower spec Radeon 9200 PRO chipset). In this case both monitors are rotated.

Another potential source for help:

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43