Dual Monitor setup config

Hey guys new to linux here but I am wanting to learn something new and just having windows basically for the occasional gaming here and there. I am running a dual 560 TI setup and have disable my IGPU on my I5 2500k, I basically just install SUSE 12.3 and both my monitors are working great with the stock cd drivers, however when I try and change the monitor setup when I log off and shut down the config is lost. I tried searching the forums, but all the posts pertain to using nvidia X server which i really don’t want to mess with, is there a way to save the config file through the CLI logged in as su? any instructions or help would be much appreciated. As a note I tried looking at the xorg file but I am not exactly sure what to look for or what I am even looking at.

For a more complete picture, can you tell us which desktop you’re using?

As in KDE or GNOME if that is what you are asking? If that is the case I am using KDE

AFAIU, KDE 4.10 is now using new display management utility called kscreen (supported by the underlying libkscreen). I’m still using openSUSE 12.2 with KDE 4.8.5, so I can’t advise with the depth I’d like. Perhaps others can. :slight_smile:

Did you do something along lines of xrandr. If true then add those lines to ~/.profile file and the settings should get applied everytime you login

Now that I’ve upgraded to KDE 4.10.3, I see that kscreen/libkscreen0 is not yet in use. So, as @vazhavandan has suggested you can use the xrandr approach, along these lines

DivByZero.com: HOWTO: Make KDE remember dual-monitor randr settings

Examine ~/.kde4/share/config/krandrrc for any dual screen config you may have saved previously. From that you can create the executable ‘autostart’ script.

On 2013-05-08, aw0l12 <aw0l12@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> wrote:
>
> Hey guys new to linux here but I am wanting to learn something new and
> just having windows basically for the occasional gaming here and there.
> I am running a dual 560 TI setup and have disable my IGPU on my I5
> 2500k, I basically just install SUSE 12.3 and both my monitors are
> working great with the stock cd drivers, however when I try and change
> the monitor setup when I log off and shut down the config is lost. I
> tried searching the forums, but all the posts pertain to using nvidia X
> server which i really don’t want to mess with, is there a way to save
> the config file through the CLI logged in as su? any instructions or
> help would be much appreciated. As a note I tried looking at the xorg
> file but I am not exactly sure what to look for or what I am even
> looking at.

Installing the downloadable nvidia-driver *.run file is the most reliable way of installing the the driver.

From a virtual console (e.g. Ctrl-Alt-F1 ->login) run:

sh-4.2$ su -
sh-4.2$ zypper in gcc make kernel-devel
sh-4.2$ telinit 3
sh-4.2$ cd /home/you/Downloads/
sh-4.2$ sh NVIDIA***.run
sh-4.2$ nvidia-xconfig
sh-4.2$ telinit 5
sh-4.2$ exit

If you want to edit the config file as CLI from a virtual console you can, but you need to use a console-only text
editor such as vim, emacs, or nano. I find it’s unnecessary to edit that file because the flags for nvidia-xconfig
allow most the tweaking you’re likely to ever need.

Hi folks,

I’ve been having the same issue lately with 12.3, and I felt it’s such a shame that SuSE the **** mature linux distro out there can’t fix the bloody KDE utility to understand the “Save as default” thing once and forever!
It’s also amazing how the system detects that I’ve disconnected the second monitor, and asks me (opens a dialog) if I’d like to run the configuration utility to adjust the settings, but the **** thing opens that dialog ON THE disconnected monitor!!! Man this is annoying! A two-years old distro could have done that, SuSE, c’mon! Even though 12.3 isn’t your latest and greatest distro, is it really that hard to fix?
(sorry for the rant)

We are just other users here, no developers.

You should add or add to an exiting Bigzilla to get the developers attention. Post the bugzilla link here so other may add their experience

http://en.opensuse.org/Bugzilla