Dual HDD Laptop?

Does anyone know where I can find a laptop with an option for dual hard drives? Dell used to have an option on some of their higher end laptops for a second drive, but it has been replaced with more generic “2x250GB” options. Since I need at least one of the drives to be at least 7200RPM, those options don’t work well for me (unless one of the 2x___ options features the faster drives, which Dell’s doesn’t).

I should clarify, I am using this laptop for recording multitrack audio (“pro studio” kind of stuff). So being able to keep your OS on a seperate physical disk from where you are recording to is a big deal.

Ideally I would like to find a laptop that had the option of two separate drives, so I could have a slower 5400RPM system drive and a faster drive for recording, rather than having two of the “hungrier” 7200RPM drives. I have found that a separate recording drive leads to much more stability when recording multi-track audio.

On the other hand, would a SSD have the same limitations as a HDD for recording (namely, the problem with running your OS on the same disk you are recording to)? IE, would the need for a second drive be irrelevant on an SSD?

Hi
On my Toshiba Tecra M3 you can remove the dvd drive and replace it with
a caddy that holds a second hard drive. See if the systems your
looking at have this available in the specs or accessories list.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (i586) Kernel 2.6.27.15-2-default
up 2 days 7:53, 1 user, load average: 0.32, 0.28, 0.23
GPU GeForce 6600 TE/6200 TE - Driver Version: 185.13

zak89 schrieb:
> Does anyone know where I can find a laptop with an option for dual hard
> drives? …
>
>

I have an HP nc 6400 and for the whole current series of business
laptops HP offer an HD tray that can be swapped for the CD / DVD drive

Cheers

Albert