Dual core processor problem

Hello friends …
I’ve recently installed opensuse 11.0 with “kernel 2.6.25-1.1-default” and “GNOME 2.22.1”.
it is working but with only one processor…(system monitor shows only one)
iam using intel dual-core CPU(1.8 GHz)…
please help me out.
when i command #uname -a
it shows

#########################
“Linux linux-eqli 2.6.25.5-1.1-default #1 SMP 2008-06-07 01:55:22 +0200 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux”
#######################3

and #cat /proc/cpuinfo
it gives
#########################################

processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 15
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz
stepping : 13
cpu MHz : 1200.000
cache size : 1024 KB
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good pni monitor ds_cpl est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
bogomips : 3602.85
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

#############################################
please help me out…

The only thing I can recommend is to check the bug reports or go to the openSUSE mailing list.
Maybe do a kernel upgrade.

I recommend that tomorrow you get 11.1 and do a clean install. The 2.6.27.7-9 kernel may fix your problem.

thanks alot for response.:slight_smile:

I have this right now on this box, after a BIOS upgrade. It’ll be due to the ACPI code in the BIOS being compiled with M$'s ACPI compiler, accepting non-standard extensions.

Interestingly the 11.1-RC1 2.6.27-4 kernel, doesn’t suffer from the problem. So I suspect upgrading the kernel to 2.6.27 might actually help.

You may be able to complain to manufacturer, or obtain a BIOS upgrade, or there’s info on fixing the ACPI yourself (if you’re feeling hardcore).

Alternatively perhaps you can download a Live CD of the shiny new, 11.1 out tomorrow, and see with

cat /proc/cpuinfo

If both cores have been recognised, in the upgraded version.

thats great…
I’ve fixed it …
what u said was exact, there was a problem in BIOS ,i simply changed some settings and it worked.
now i can see 2 processors.

thanks for your suggestion :slight_smile: