Dual Booting Win 7 and OpenSuse

So I’ve searched the forums but no luck so I thought I’d make my first post count lol. So I’m planning on dual booting and have 175GB of unallocated free space that I’m trying to install OpenSuse too. I was going through the GUI installer and I came to the point where I actually write my changes.

Partitioning
Create extended partition /dev/sda4 (175.58 GB)
Create swap volume /dev/sda5 (2.01 GB)
Create root volume /dev/sda6 (20.00 GB) with ext4
Create volume /dev/sda7 (153.58 GB) for /home with ext4
Set mount point of /dev/sda3 to /windows/C
Set mount point of /dev/sdb1 to /windows/D

I suppose the top is pretty straight foward but my questions are the “Set mount points of…” What exactly is this doing? Am I making any changes to my Windows partition or am I safe? Thanks in advance but I’m just a noob trying to gain some experience and knowledge of my box. Sorry if this has been covered but like I said I didn’t find it. Thanks again in advance.

-DJ

Setting the mount points allows you to access the data on those partitions if you choose to, it does not alter those partitions or the data on them.
You can choose not to set them, or remove those mount points latter, (I wouldn’t, but your choice)

How would you remove those later? Also which one would you do?

How would you remove those later? Also which one would you do?

Why would you want to?
Nevertheless, after the install show us the output from a console/terminal in CODE tags (use the “Go Advanced” button then the “#” button) of the following

cat /etc/fstab
mount

in the mean time you can find usefull info here Mount point definition by The Linux Information Project and here fstab - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you are paranoid about being able to access windows partitions through Linux use the “advanced partitioning” (or what ever it is called) to disable mount for those partitions before the install is finished.
Again It does no harm to have the windows mount points defined, most like it that way and make good use of it.

Linux is different then Windows. You can "mount any partition in the files system at almost any point. So you don’t have separate drives like in Windows ie C,D,E etc but you simply have a directory that is attached to a partition’s file system. In this case the installer is going to set the windows partitions to mount at /window/C and /windows/D directories. Those directories are called the mount points and exist in the root file system tree.