dual boot!

Hello members,
I need one help in installing openSUSE 11.1 for x86 (32 Bit PC) in my laptop (dell inspiron 6400 Core Duo-Proc. T7200, RAM 2gb). I already installed Vista home premium service pack 1. I need to do dual boot. I made my vista computer to burn a DVD openSUSE 11.1 successfully according to the instruction given in the suse website using Infrarecorder.
Hard disk: 160gb, (5400 rpm) SATA hard drive.
Partition details:I have 4 paritions - C(53.7gb), D(42.9gb), E(31.3gb), F(21gb) and I (dvd rw drive). all NTFS.
I want to install SUSE in ‘D’, which is totally free. I browsed a lot on web and also in this forum and got many important details…but still i am confused…
in this website Installation/11.1 DVD Install - openSUSE
in step 6.
(i) How i should change to ‘D’ partition and install??
Also i got this info (see below) from this from this forum Suse Vista Dual Boot - openSUSE Forums
and it is quite useful…
(i) How to select the ‘D’ partition in my case…how the window would look like…???
(ii) In that link its mentioned that automatically linux selects 2 partition…how it will select? In my case which 2 partition would be selected…also why?..will this 2 partition would be shown before installation? if it shows how to identify…i mean in the hd00 nomenclature?
i agree this is a usual question…but in any case i need to install linux in my latop…kindly help me…
thanks,
Rajini.

Delete the partion using the info here Disk Management - Delete and Extend - Vista Forums
Then openSuse will see the free space and install there
You can also read more here GRUB Boot Multiboot openSUSE Windows (2000, XP, Vista) using the Grub bootloader.

/Geoff

With regard to step 6, you want to create a custom partitioning setup and not use the one that suse proposes. This means that you select the “Edit partition” button and then you should see another menu or button that says something like “expert” or “custom” partitioning. That is the one you want. You should then see a tree view of your hard drive. In linux there is no such thing as “C”, “D”, etc. The partitions are associated with device names, e.g. sda1, sda2, etc. Your “D” partition should be sda2. This portion of the menu is intuitive and straightforward. Good luck.

Hi,
thanks. So i should select ‘Edit partition’…then select sda2 (i mean ‘D’)…
geoffro…so why i need to delete all my partitions??..(‘C’ can’t be deleted)…then if i delete D, E…etc…it will be listed as ‘Unallocated’…so u mean when i install suse…this ‘unallocated’ space will be considered or what??
which i have to follow…plasmics or geoffro!!!:frowning:

Again, you select custom disk partitioning and choose sda2 as the linux root partition. You also select to reformat it as a ext3 file system. The interface is fairly self explanatory.

It really complicated to install Linux (now i know why very less ppl. using linux…instead of windows…althought windows is not free)…
When i tried to install linux (for dual boot …vista already installed)…i get error…‘No Repository found’ what does this mean…
Ps. i inactivated all boot options except booting from DVD, which has SUSE.
thanks…
Rajini