Dual boot with manjaro install ruined manjaro

Hi, today i wanted to install openSUSE Tumbleweed replacing my manjaro old insatll , because my main goal is to test how btrfs with snapshots will perform in my old 5400 rotating hd i selected the default partition scheme thaat uses btrfs on / (i always changed it to xfs in previous installs) , even did not review it thinking this way it should use the hole disk repartitioning as required. But yast leave the old efi fat32 partition in sda1 and the old / partition on sda2 intact!!! what it did was delete and reformat my old /home partition using the new scheme, so i ended with a grub menu with manjaro as second option, this obviously does not work halt the machine with a kernel panic i suppose is because the old /home UID partition missing. So doing a default install does not configure correctly with an existing manjaro linux installation, i planned to delete manjaro anyway but now i have 20G at the start of the disk that i want to reuse, i prefer to add that space to my new /home partition. i have these questions:

1. can i move the hole partition scheme to fill this 20G so the new /boot/efi will start at first sector of disk and after the move resize /home to use this available space? can this be done using the partition using yast or i have to install gparted or similar tool?
    • is case step 1 is not posible what posible effects in performance can cause that /boot/efi partition is in sda3 having 20G unused at the start of disk? i can create a partition to store iso’s. big files etc that i dont want to keep in /home but /boot/efi will stay in sda3 and / in sda4-
  2. to wipe the hole disk partitions and leave a new Tumbleweed starting in sda1 i should have entered in the partition configurtor and select “delete even if not necesary” or something like that i dont re? member the exact text, if so i think is not so newbie friendly who expects delete his windows partition with an old windows xp intall, it waste space, may be a tick in a box somewhere that ask “do you want to keep your old os instalarions?” should be good option, if selected behaves like is today, if not leve a pristine new Tumbleweed install using the hole disk.

The installer only gives default solutions if you have spacial needs you need to give it instructions on what to do. It can only make best guess not read your mind.

You will need the EFI boot (FAT) partition for booting if using EFI booting. You can use a disk utility to move and resize partition but the utility must understand BTRFS!!!

Unused space has very little effect on speed it is simply unused space.

The installer is just a tool not magic so depending on your needs you may have to enter expert mode to specify your exact wishes

Ummm, sorry but i disagree, by your comments then other installers where developed by merlin the magician himself , anaconda or calamares, chchi etc they detect the previous instalation and ask if you want to install besides the existing ones even automatically resize the partitions to make room for the new one or you have the option the use hole disk and good by to any old windows or watherver install was before. i mean to make a constructive sugestion to improve the install process may be the developers think everybody is as smart o have the experecience they have, it is assumed that Tumbleweed is not oriented only to IT professionals but to the normal user as well with the goal of expanding the general linux user base. if you are happy with that overcomplicated install process is ok, but i dont feel confident to recommend my friend just download the iso and follow the instructions if i am not supervising the process. they may end with a half configured dual boot install like me, my manjaro install is gone, fixable with some work recreating the /home for manajaro, editing fstab etc but it should not be necesary in the first place, or leave a functioning dual boot or delete the old one and not waste space. just my 2 cents.
regards.

The partitioning proposal tells you what partitions will be removed.

There’s a “Guided” option. If you use that, you can tell it whether to use the whole disk. And the expert partitioner gives the ability to decide everything yourself.

I’ve used both Anaconda and Calamares installers. The openSUSE installer is actually more flexible. But perhaps that isn’t obvious to new users.

I totally agree nrick, it is not obvius to the new user even more is he is a linux newbie, dont get me wrong, i dont mean to be rude everybody needs babysitting when you start with something new like a new os, openSUSE installer is more flexible so more complex to learn, i will read again the link Henk van “Something that i dont remember at this moment” postd about asking smart eustions :slight_smile: .
I reviewed the expert partitioner and sure it lets you leave intact the existing partitions so in these case that i want to replace my manjaro install i should have deleted all or if wanted dual boot create new ones and may be reusing the existing uefi partition, not a big deal.
In a non related question, what is the correct forum to ask how to configure certain aspects of yast , here or the applications forum?

If it is related to install, then ask here. Otherwise use the Applications forum.