Dual boot vista and opensuse? Newbie help

I am currently using an IBM ThinkPad x61 with 2 GB of Ram and 160 GB HDD with vista loaded on to it. I want to partition the HDD and dual boot vista and opensuse but thought I would ask the experts how you guys think it would run on these specs since I know little of Linux and haven’t used any version in years. Thanks to anyone who has any input,

–Shea68

should run nice…be sure and defrag your windows with a windows
defragger before you start…

and back up all data on the drive you need to protect to an off
machine media (no, it shouldn’t be in danger, but you know Murphy, right?)

even with your past experience with unix/linux…lots has changed in
the last few years…so, i’d suggest you take a good look at the
download page http://software.opensuse.org/ and find the info below
the Download button on how to get a good download, a good install disk
and what to do once you have those…

oh, and a really good place to pick up info that will save you a LOT
of mistakes and time are in the two read only threads here:
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/how-faq-forums/

do NOT miss those…

DenverD
CAVEAT: http://is.gd/bpoMD
[NNTP posted w/openSUSE 11.3, KDE4.5.5, Thunderbird3.0.11, nVidia
173.14.28 3D, Athlon 64 3000+]
“It is far easier to read, understand and follow the instructions than
to undo the problems caused by not.” DD 23 Jan 11

Thanks a lot DenverD. And when you say a windows defragger you do mean that the vista defragger windows comes with will work fine right? I just wanted to make sure mainly that a 160 GB HDD will be enough for both OS. And I will mostly be doing programming on this laptop so I won’t have a lot of media on this computer. Thanks again for the help Denver.

> And when you say a windows defragger you do mean
> that the vista defragger windows comes with will work fine right?

actually, i know almost nothing about Windows…(have not used it
daily since 1995, and have not had it on a work or home machine since
then)…and, i therefore have no idea what kinda defragger vista came
with (i have seen vista run and when i did i ask Why does it hit the
hard drive constantly?)…

i just know that the openSUSE partitioner will try to squeeze down the
win partition to carve out room for Linux…and, if you do not defrag
what you have before the install partitioner begins it is highly
likely that the way MS scatters bits all over the drive that the linux
install may not find a contiguous space large enough…

so, defrag first…if you need advice on how or with what you need a
win person…not me…

> I just
> wanted to make sure mainly that a 160 GB HDD will be enough for both OS.
> And I will mostly be doing programming on this laptop so I won’t have a
> lot of media on this computer. Thanks again for the help Denver.

most folks around here dedicate 20 GB to the root directory (where all
the system files are) and a small swap (twice your RAM is more than
enough, even if you want to hibernate/sleep to RAM)…then what ever
you can afford to your /home, which is where your media and data would
live…

by the way, i now note that you didn’t mention the CPU speed and i
don’t what a x61 comes with, the official hardware requirements for
11.3 is here: http://en.opensuse.org/Hardware_requirements

consider the minimums stated as MINIMUM!! (if you want a snappy
machine)…and, you can see there they say 3GB for hard drive space
and i think they are either smoking dope or lying…i have full up
desktop here with all i want and my root drive is 5.5 GB, but, i moved
off a v 10.3 which had more like 13 GB…so, it depends on how many
different kinds of development environments and debugs and what not
you intend to load it…

Have a lot of fun!

DenverD

Thanks. All I need is to know that 160 GB for both OS system files and media files will be enough… I won’t be getting any music or movies or big files like that and if I do I would get an external HDD. The laptop Im using it for has 64 bit capability but I’ve heard that the 64 bit Linux OS can be buggy. So on the download page for 11.3 would I use the 32 bit or 64? Thanks to anyone who can help,

–Shea68

I recommend 64 bit. things are moving there and 32 is kinda of a backseat now.

You think? You would know better than me. If more people are using and advancing it quicker then I suppose that would be the way to go.

Well at the moment there is a very nasty bug involving latest NVIDA driver and KDE in the 32 bit version.

Ahh alright thanks. It isn’t the end of the world if I had to reinstall Linux at some point anyways but if the 64 bit is less glitchy at the moment then I’ll go that route.

Hi Shea68,
Word of caution, the MS included defrag utility takes forever and is almost as dangerous as accumulated fragmentation, I strongly recommend
“Defraggler”, a free download at Defraggler - File and Disk Defragmentation - Free Download it’s easily twice as fast and a magnitude of order high in file safety than the M$ utility. Welcome and happy lizard to you! enjoy and have fun!

You might want to check this
Install openSUSE alongside Win7/Vista - A Guide

Thanks a lot for the advice. I don’t know if I will need to defrag it as I just bought the laptop refurbished and all that is on it at the moment is vista 32 bit and as far as I know the people who refurbished haven’t used it except to get vista on it. So I’m just waiting to get it for another day then I can start all this. Will I still need to defrag?

You will be surprised but yes. Defrag is really needed immediately after an install.

On 02/18/2011 12:06 AM, Shea68 wrote:
>
> I don’t know if I will need to defrag

i know, you DO need to defrag.

DenverD

Defraggler is a great program but the Microsoft defrag program is in no way dangerous.

When resizing the partition, its easier to do this in Vista/7 using Disk Management

How to prepare your Windows disk for a Ubuntu installation ~ Linux Tweaking - http://linuxtweaking.blogspot.com

I think defragger no longer comes automatically with Windows Vista, as it did with Windows XP. I had to download and install it on my windows partition.

I had to download and install it on my windows partition.
In either Vista or 7, (and assuming they are genuine) there is a defrag tool built in.

If you haven’t used the laptop then you wouldn’t need to defrag, OTOH, it only helps.
Generic rules:
#1 Review the provided partitioning and dual boot links.
#2 Backup your important data, files and configurations on WinVista before you start (good idea to restore a file to make sure your backup works). Don’t forget your email folders and address folders.
#3 Resize your hard disk if necessary to create an unallocated space. The new unallocated space should be large enough for a 1-2Gb /swap, 20-30Gb / (root), and a /home 20 or more Gb. Mostly, the size of / (root) and /home depend on how much space you need for WinVista.
#4 I tend to make the unallocated space as an extended partition.
#5 Use the edit partitions instead of allowing OpenSuse to assign the partitions. Unlike Linux, Windows needs lots of space for installing programs.
#6 Install OpenSuse, check applications you want installed, write down passwords and ip addresses used during the installation.

I have the laptop now and am going to defrag here in a little bit I just want to make sure I do this right and avoid later issues. Once I defrag I am going to go into HDD in windows then managing it to give as much HDD space as it will allow me to which will then turn into unallocated space. Then I put in linux install disc shut down and then startup and boot from disc and go through the install and it will automatically use the unallocated space for linux? Thanks everyone for the help,

–Shea Nemeth

Always pay attention to the screens in the install to be extra sure that things are going as you expect. But yes taking the defaults should install to the empty space.