Dropbox Installation Questions

I went to the Dropbox site and found this page with the download for the application. I don’t know which one to select. I see .deb and .rpm. Which one is used by Open SUSE 12.3? I’m not that advanced and I don’t know the nomenclature for this OS. I need an Open SUSE dictionary.

Here is the page: https://www.dropbox.com/install2

If I click the proper link will it install itself and just ask me to click a few permission buttons and put in my password? I have no idea how to compile things. I’ve only heard that word related to software.

There is this other thread about this topic and it has several blocks of text that must be pasted somewhere. Here it is: https://forums.opensuse.org/content/37-re-how-install-dropbox-kde.html

I’m using KDE.

At the end of this set of instructions it says to “Next do this in a normal user terminal” I didn’t know that there were different terminals. If you see the commands on that page, where do those get pasted?

In the comments section there is one that says: “Don’t forget to switch the repo’s off, to keep the “holy four” with packman, as is recommended by many in the community.”

What does that mean? I haven’t come across packman yet.

Just after my computer was successfully connected to the internet for the first time with this OS, I noticed that an update notification popped up on the bottom right side of the screen. I clicked it and downloaded and installed all of the updates tonight (July, 8, 2013). So anything that might be needed in regular updates should be in my machine right now if that helps with this main question.

Let me know what to do and I’ll do it. I’m learning and having fun (as long as things don’t crash).

Thank you.

Smallwheels

I don’t know if the Fedora rpm is compatible or not, but that seems to be the closest choice. openSUSE does use .rpm packages. If you download the rpm, you can install it using yast.

@op
Better to use the dropbox rpm from openSUSE folders that one hosted by dropbox as it seems to built specifically for fedora
you can follow the guide in https://forums.opensuse.org/content/37-re-how-install-dropbox-kde.html except that you need to change the url to that of 12.3
since you use 12.3 the repo url should be Index of /repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_12.3

I went to Yast and there are two selections for Dropbox mentioned. In the summary section of the Software Manager one says “Dropbox client for Linux” and the other says Dropbox client integrated into Nautilus". Would selecting either of these add Dropbox to my computer? Isn’t Nautilus the name of a file system? I think my unaltered installation has Dolphin as the file manager.

Maybe it would help if I knew the answers to the questions I already asked. Is there more than one type of terminal, as in the Normal terminal as opposed to some other one? If there is only one type of terminal or even two types, what do I paste into them? Are the instructions in that other link correct?

I did follow that link to the repositories. What do I do once I get there? I have a 32 bit version of 12.3 and it has been updated as of last night. I noticed that the bottom link on that repositories page had 64 bit in its name.

One reason I’m asking about installing programs from the program’s web sites is that on two different videos of people talking about updating Linux machines, they said that the versions in the repositories aren’t often up to date.

While I await an answer I’ll be reading the Dolphin Instruction Manual.

Smallwheels.

Nautilus is a file manager in Gnome. You want the general one unless you intend to use the Nautilus file manager.

Just make sure you follow this
https://forums.opensuse.org/content/37-re-how-install-dropbox-kde.html

Make sure you have the 12.3 kde-extra repo

then do

su -
zypper in dropbox dropbox-servicemenu

when that’s done

Open a new terminal and do

dropbox start -i

Thank you for the information. How do I find out if I have the kde-extra repo?

Where do I paste those commands listed the other page? Do I just open a terminal and paste that information line by line and click enter after each one?

Why must I open a different terminal? Does the last command in the first section make the machine reboot, thus needing a new terminal?

Was that comment about first turning off packman in the comments section incorrect?

I see on your first line you have an s and then a u with a space and then a dash. Is that just one command? What symbols do I type here in order to put code onto the page without messing up things for people?

Open a terminal

Use your mouse to copy and paste the following - then hit Enter

zypper lr -d

You can then use your mouse to copy and paste the result here

The kde-extra repo url is:
Index of /repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_12.3

If you don’t see it in your results, you can add it like this:

su -
zypper ar -f http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_12.3/ kde-extra

then

zypper ref

then to install dropbox

zypper in dropbox dropbox-servicemenu

If all this is too complicated. Try using the Graphical application - YAST

Open Yast > Software > Software Repositories

You should see a list of repos
Packman is OK to have
If kde extra is not there > go to Add > Community List
From the list that is presented - select the kde extra > OK > The OK to get out of the repo part of Yast

Now from YAST main section window > Open Software Manager
In the search box: dropbox
And you should see: dropbox-servicemenu, please click the small check box and it should get marked with a tick
It’s important to mark this package first and not dropbox
Dropbox will get selected automatically
Then click APPLY (bottom right)

When it’s done
open a terminal and paste it

dropbox start -i

and follow the obvious prompts.

I have found that nautilus-dropbox works fine in KDE. no problems. It’s easy to install that way

su
zypper in nautilus-dropbox

Once it’s installed you can launch it from the menu> internet> data transfer
Good Luck.

P.S. Some will tell you that this will download some gnome stuff this is true but unless you are very short on H.D. Space it should not be a big concern.

Please don’t do this
Nautilus file manager takes over your kde system

Here are the results of the first command. Since I don’t know what is done to format this on this message board I’m just pasting it until informed otherwise.

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

–±--------------------------±-----------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±----------------------------------------------------------------±-------
1 | repo-debug | openSUSE-12.3-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/distribution/12.3/repo/oss |
2 | repo-debug-update | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Debug | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/update/12.3 |
3 | repo-debug-update-non-oss | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Debug-Non-Oss | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /debug/update/12.3-non-oss |
4 | repo-non-oss | openSUSE-12.3-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/12.3/repo/non-oss |
5 | repo-oss | openSUSE-12.3-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | yast2 | Index of /distribution/12.3/repo/oss |
6 | repo-source | openSUSE-12.3-Source | No | Yes | 99 | NONE | Index of /source/distribution/12.3/repo/oss |
7 | repo-update | openSUSE-12.3-Update | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/12.3 |
8 | repo-update-non-oss | openSUSE-12.3-Update-Non-Oss | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | Index of /update/12.3-non-oss |

I do not see the word extra in any of these lines. Is this the time to add the second and third commands from your post?

It’s not there
so add it as described in my earlier post and follow the instructions

I bow to your knowledge and wisdom. It is working now and I’m examining the files. I clicked on a PDF and the computer told me I didn’t have a program capable of reading it. I found that strange since LibreOffice comes with the original package.

It gave me a selection of programs that would open the PDF file and I selected one. It is working now.

Thank you.

Now for more questions in a new thread.

Smallwheels

The default software for reading pdfs on KDE is okular and not Libreoffice though Libreoffice can read pdfs

Nautilus will replace dolphin as default file & folder manager ?

Yes and no
But when a DVD or USB flash drive device is used or something that prompts the automount in gnome, then yes. And with a DVD for example you end up not being able to eject it unless you start nautilus and use it’s eject.

And why would you install the nautilus dropbox part - when a kde one exists.

Dropbox for Suse 12.3(KDE Version) is available from Index of /repositories/KDE:/Extra/openSUSE_12.3.

Add this repository to Yast and then install the packages dropbox and dropbox-servicemenu.

Restart the computer. A dropbox dialog will appear during startup indicating that Dropbox is downloading the proprietary daemon. Dropbox will download and install the daemon and then the Drobox icon will appear in the KDE service menu at the bottom right hand side of the screen.

Dropbox will then start to sync your files.

Rightclick on the Dropbox icon to set preferences.

Select the KDE:Extra.repo from the list of repositories in the link given above.

Here’s a quick video showing how to install dropbox on openSUSE 12.3 KDE.

Note - When adding the repository, it will come up asking if you trust the repository’s key or not, just click yes to them.
You don’t see the popups in the video, because I already had previously added the repo before removing it for this video.

Link to video http://db.tt/ZVNYU95x