driver for ipevo webcam

I have an IPEVO POV webcam, which unfortunately would appear to be one of the most obscure models around when it comes to Linux, since web searches never throw up any associations between the two. It has a built-in mic and that is recognised fine under openSUSE 11.2, but the video never shows up in Skype or Kopete. I’ve run a couple of commands and checked the UVC and gspca compatibility lists but find no results. The IPEVO product specs don’t give any clues as to the driver used. Can anybody suggest ways in which I could identify it?

The output of dmesg after switching it on first produced some generic blank fields like idVendor=ffff and idProduct=ffff, but today I got different output:

6068.340089] usb 2-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
 6068.500063] usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=1778, idProduct=0203
 6068.500094] usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=0, Product=1, SerialNumber=0
 6068.500120] usb 2-1: Product: USB camera
 6068.500400] usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice

The lsusb command produces this (I assume this is the relevant line if the above shows usb 2-1 but I’m not 100% sure):

Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

I had hoped that the upgrade to 11.2 with the 2.6.31 kernel would automagically detect the webcam but no such joy. I’m using KDE and don’t want to install too much additional software. Where do I go from here?

I believe 1d6b:0001 is a hub, and not your webcam.

Your webcam might be 1778:0203 in which case, I can not find the vendor ID 1778 anywhere. It appears to be very new.

If the webcam is 1778:0203 I would be surprised if this is supported.

For the benefit of anyone else who ever searches for IPEVO POV and Linux in the same page, I’ll end this thread by mentioning that I got a response from IPEVO regarding this product. They state that

‘The PoV requires its proprietary driver to be installed before usage and we do not plan to build a Linux version nor disclose its internal structure due to our limited capability to support unusual usages. The P2V, the successor of PoV, uses the standard UVC driver therefore works in Linux, Mac, and Windows alike.’

At least it’s an honest response, and I am rather tempted by the P2V. Just wish the product info would be a bit more verbose in the first place and I wouldn’t have wasted my money before.

Thanks for the update.

So unforunately it appears incompatible with Linux. Its likely a good candidate to add to the Linux incompatibility list: Incompatible Webcams

So unforunately it appears incompatible with Linux. Its likely a good candidate to add to the Linux incompatibility list: Incompatible Webcams

Ok, done !

Another one that can possibly be added to the incompatible list is the Agent V2 by Liquid Digital (a sort of cut-price Mac i-Sight clone but with USB and good resolution). Bought one for my Mac-owning brother a couple of years back but now he doesn’t want it so am considering have him ship it halfway around the world back to me.

Liquid Digital seem to have one of those response teams that consider the idea of supporting Linux, unhelpful replies and sales opportunities as much the same thing. They state that this product is not compatible with Linux whilst swiftly moving on to offer me their latest device at a supposedly knock-down price (even though from my experience every version they’ve sold on their site is always advertised at such a discount price), but I suspect they simply don’t know what they’re talking about when it comes to Linux because the driver installation instructions make mention of UVC. Hence, if anybody has any experience with this webcam on Linux please let me know before I waste any more time or money on having it shipped.

Sorry to bump an old thread but seeing as this the first place I came to I thought I’d share that the IPVEO Point 2 View (aka P2V) works perfectly in linux using the uvc drivers; the capture and focus buttons work without fault and I haven’t noticed any performance problems. On Debian/Ubuntu you can install it and a useful webcam controlling program by doing the following:

sudo apt-get install guvcview

Cheers.

Thanks for that update.

In openSUSE the package guvcview is packaged by the Packman packagers: PackMan :: Informationen zum Paket guvcview and it is in the ‘essential’ packman repository. If one has the ‘essential’ or ‘all’ packman repository in one’s repository list, one can install it in openSUSE by the command:

su -c 'zypper in guvcview'

Can you tell me what was your shell version?
I have problems with P2V camera and i would like to fix it.