downgraded resolution after replacing a monitor

When my monitor broke down and I had it repaired I had to borrow one. When I connected it for the first time it worked well. But the next day it started with wrong resolution: 1024 × 768 instead of 1280 × 1024. In the logs I found that there is a problem with EDID checksum.

Some time passed and yesterday we had a power cut. When it was restored and I switched on my PC, the resolution was good again. Until next day.

I’ve just looked at the dmesg log and there is no EDID entry in it.

How can I restore the proper resolution?

Nobody knows? :frowning:

On 2012-11-19 11:56, wryrych wrote:
>
> Nobody knows? :frowning:

I guess you have to disable edid and write the list of resolutions, but
I’m not sure how.

Cheers / Saludos,

Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 “Celadon” (Minas Tirith))

There are numerous threads around here concerning how to manually configure a desired display resolution if you care to search.

However, from what you’ve written here

When my monitor broke down and I had it repaired I had to borrow one. When I connected it for the first time it worked well. But the next day it started with wrong resolution: 1024 × 768 instead of 1280 × 1024. In the logs I found that there is a problem with EDID checksum.

Some time passed and yesterday we had a power cut. When it was restored and I switched on my PC, the resolution was good again. Until next day.

it appears to be intermittent - a faulty cable/connector perhaps?

Thank you guys! This has helped me: http://forums.opensuse.org/opensuseforums/english/get-technical-help-here/hardware/474119-solved-screen-flickers-wrong-resolution.html