Dolphin / Konqueror default "width" issue

I love KDE, it’s so configurable and has so many options.
I hate KDE, it’s too configurable and has too many options.
:wink:

Some how recently my file managers have acquired the habit of opening full width of my screen on the desktop.
Both Konqueror and Dolphin are exhibiting this behavior.
I can open a window and shrink it in the vertical direction and then close the window.
Next time I open the f/m the new window opens back up with exactly the same dimensions in the Y axis.
HOWEVER when I try to reduce the window size in the X axis, for example make the window appear in 1/4 of the screen, and then close that, upon reopening it’s the same size in Y but stretches full width again in X.

Not sure what I’ve done and I’m no novice and have piddled with the preferences in both f/m’s and Configure Desktop, with no change in behavior. Anyone have an idea how to make these file managers do my bidding?

openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64)
KDE: 4.7.2 (4.7.2) “release 5”

Thanks to all for your feedback.

Just for kicks,

Close <all> other windows/apps on your Desktop except an instance of your problem app.

Then, re-size the app so that it’s no larger than half the width and height of your screed (ie 1/4 size of screen or smaller, then re-position it exactly centered far away from any edge.

Close the app, then re-open and see if you still see the same problem.

Possible causes I can think of under normal use

• incorrect display configuration. Like recent Windows, KDE has this “snap to” feature where if the window edge is believed to be touching an edge or corner it will re-size as you described.
  • othe open apps. Ordinarily by ittself should not cause the problem you describe, but I’ve noticed that KDE tries to position new app in empty space on the desktop, so close apps which might push a new app to an edge.

Noticed many related posts everywhere asking a similar question to yours, but am not yet seeing anything unexplainable on my system.

HTH,
TSU

SomeSuSEUser wrote:

>
> I love KDE, it’s so configurable and has so many options.
> I hate KDE, it’s too configurable and has too many options.
> :wink:
>
> Some how recently my file managers have acquired the habit of opening
> full width of my screen on the desktop.
> Both Konqueror and Dolphin are exhibiting this behavior.
> I can open a window and shrink it in the vertical direction and then
> close the window.
> Next time I open the f/m the new window opens back up with exactly the
> same dimensions in the Y axis.
> HOWEVER when I try to reduce the window size in the X axis, for example
> make the window appear in 1/4 of the screen, and then close that, upon
> reopening it’s the same size in Y but stretches full width again in X.
>
> Not sure what I’ve done and I’m no novice and have piddled with the
> preferences in both f/m’s and Configure Desktop, with no change in
> behavior. Anyone have an idea how to make these file managers do my
> bidding?
>
> openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64)
> KDE: 4.7.2 (4.7.2) “release 5”
>
> Thanks to all for your feedback.
>
>
Check you havn’t got more than one entry for your application in
Configure desktop > Window Behavior > Window rules
If you have delete all but one and modify that one to suit yourself.

Thanks folks.
@ tsu2 - that didn’t do the trick
@ graham - interesting. Nothing for the file managers but there were 2 entries for something else there (disable focus stealing prevention for XV) so I deleted one of them.

What fixed the issue here was somewhat a Gatling gun (or CIWS -choose the century to which you have the most affinity) approach to the problem. I deleted under /home/USERNAME/.kde4/share/apps/ the following:

konquerorrc
dolphinrc
and several other things that looked like user config options in the konqueror and dolphin trees.

I expect the first two likely solved it, but, no loss to dump the other stuff too.
logged out, back in, all fixed.
:shake:

Thanks for your feedback!

I was having the same problem with konqueror, dolphin, and libre office spreadsheet. The windows started opening up to the maximum window width whenever I would open them, or move them from one monitor to another (I have a two monitor system, and the monitors have different widths). I tried centering them and resizing with no other windows active. That didn’t help. Then I tried SomeSuSEUser’s suggestion, and that worked for konqueror and dolphin. But I still can’t seem to figure out why libre calc does the auto wide.>:(

I am using SUSE 12.1.