[dolphin] Is there a way when moving to keep creation timestamp ?

Greetings !!

I use to do moves with alias like ‘mv -pvi’ and today – i’m tired – I used dolphin to move some files from one disk to another…
The timestamps are all set to today… it is annoying because I organized my folders related to years/monthes of most of my documents :

Is there a way to force dolphin to keep the original file creation timestamp as the ‘-p’ option in bash ?

Sorry, but I do not quite understand this. Not in a particular sequence.

bash has no -p option (read man bash). I assume you mean a -p option for mv (as you also show in ‘mv -pvi’. But reading man mv, there is no -p option in mv either. (there is -i for interactive and -v for verbose).

I assume that by typing “to move some files from one disk to another…” you mean to move them from one file system to another. So I did likewise:

boven:~ # l aap
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 May  9 15:51 aap
boven:~ # date
Mon May  9 15:52:05 CEST 2022
boven:~ # mv aap /home/aap
boven:~ # l /home/aap
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 May  9 15:51 /home/aap
boven:~ 

Here you must accept from me that /home is on a separate file system. You see that even without any option, the file aap is move to another file system, while the mtime is still the same.

It is not possible to preserve file creation timestamp at all. Even if filesystem does support it (and not all of them do), there is no interface to set it. File creation time is set when file is created and never changed. When you move files between different mount points new file is created on destination filesytsem and it gets new creation time.

Or may be you call “creation time” something different. Show output of the command that you used to query “creation time” and mark what time you call “creation”.

sorry the mv command in bash seems to “automaticly preserve” the creation time, this is the cp command that I aliased ‘-vpi’ flags. My bad :{

That is my question… maybe when you “move” using Dolphin, it acts differently than “bash” mv.
I will retry with a different folder, to be sure that my eyes saw the reality and I"m not auto suggesting something.

For me: the '“move” using Dolphin is different than the “move” from “bash”.