Dolphin doesn't find changes quickly enough.

This is a problem that I’ve been having for a while.


I download flashplayer 10.1 beta from Adobe’s website, use “Open With”, select Ark and extract the install_flash_plugin folder to my /home/matt/Other directory. Perfect.

However, the new folder doesn’t show up in Dolphin until much time later (As of this moment, about 2 minutes later) despite going to other folders and coming back to where the new folder should be.

I’m ASSUMING (on very limited knowledge of the workings of this) that it’s related to how ext4 doesn’t necessarily write data to the hard disk at the same time as you technically “create” it, to avoid undue seeking/reading/writing stress on the drive. I assume since it hasn’t been “written” yet, dolphin can’t find it. But is there a way to reverse this behaviour? Or get dolphin to recognize my changes quicker?

I never had this problem with Nautilus back when I used Gnome, so any help is definitely appreciated. :slight_smile: Thanks so much!

I have not seen this and is not normal behavior. Are you sure you saved the file to where You think you saved it.

As to delayed write all modern file system do this. That is what journaling is.

I too have noticed this behaviour sometimes in Dolphin.

I’ve noticed this behavior too, what I have done is press F5 and it refreshes Dolphin and then the Directory or files then appear.

Cheers! :slight_smile:

Yes, I too have noticed this behaviour. A simple F5 refresh solves the problem.

I too have the same problem with Dolphin and desktop and need to refresh to see the changes or reboot.

Had never waited for few minutes, though tried it today after reading here and waited for about 10 minutes nothing happened and I had to do it manually again.

Mine does the same thing. Ever since I updated from 11.1 to 11.2. Whenever I download a file in firefox it takes a bit for it to show up in dolphin. Seems to be be random. Shows up in terminal right away.

Noticed this behaviour also. But like stated above, in terminal ok. So I’m the first one to say it has nothing to do about filesystem and or journaling. Seems like, according to the symptoms, it’s more related to not updating the gui after a copy/paste.