Does OpenSuse come with all the codecs

Does it come with all the codecs to run and play music/dvds? I know some distro’s don’t, because they aren’t all opensource.

openghost wrote:

>
> Does it come with all the codecs to run and play music/dvds? I know
> some distro’s don’t, because they aren’t all opensource.
>
>

http://en.opensuse.org/Restricted_Formats

There is talk that begining with openSUSE 11.3 Boxed set, that codecs and the various restricted formats would be included. One more reason to buy the boxed set. :wink:

P.S. Is there proof to what I am saying? Not yet. How then do I know? Let’s just say I have some inside information, and I just can’t go into more than this right now.

It’d make sense for the new German boxed set distributor, though perhaps they’ll need a licensing deal to distribute patentable formats in countries with poor laws on software patents.

Missed the edit time window :frowning:

I used to buy the box sets, from SuSE AG as way of supporting the company. Times have changed though, openSUSE can I think accept donations of money, not just time & effort improving the distro & community.

The boxed set would be like buying it in the store, ergo, it would make sense to include the codecs. So at least part of the money spent on the purchase of openSUSE boxed set would go to cover the codecs.

Jonathan R wrote:
> The boxed set would be like buying it in the store, ergo, it would make
> sense to include the codecs. So at least part of the money spent on the
> purchase of openSUSE boxed set would go to cover the codecs.
> **
>

I don’t know of any plans to attempt to deliver licensed codecs at all.
This is NOT trivial… even if you are willing to “pay”.

There’s a reason why this isn’t done in general. With that said, there
are some fairly poor codecs (only a few) that are pseudo licensed
by fluendo… you can buy theirs, but don’t expect the same quality
as the free reverse engineered ones that aren’t exactly legal. Just
fyi.

Distributions that automatically pull the good codecs are banking that
somehow they will not be found liable for the act. But, I wouldn’t
count on that (hint to Ubuntu). The openSUSE approach of NOT
automatically adding the (outside of USA) repositories to the
distro might be a better approach. At least, it means that the
user had to do something to enable the access… but even
presenting the repositories in a list might carry some liability.
Not sure.

Unfortunately, the only TRUE solution is to develop audio and video
codecs… but just about everything about audio and video has
been patented to death… sigh…

So… right now, afaik, if codecs are delivered, they’ll be the
reduced set that fluendo has licensed.

The information I gave, comes from a reliable source. I can’t go into the details right now, just rest assured, it is being considered and planned.

Jonathan R <Jonathan_R@no-mx.forums.opensuse.org> writes:

> There is talk that begining with openSUSE 11.3 Boxed set, that codecs
> and the various restricted formats would be included. One more reason to
> buy the boxed set. :wink:
> **

Hi,

That’s a great idea, more additions to the boxed set like that would
make me very likely to buy it, I have considered buying it before, but
the fact that I am a poor student stops me every time.

Regards,
Barry Nichols

No, openSUSE does not come with codecs preinstalled. That’s because they are patented and thus cannot be included in the distribution.

Linux Mint has a Main Edition which comes with all codecs preinstalled. But that edition is legal only outside the USA. For USA residents there’s the Universal Edition of Mint which does not come with the codecs.

I use Mint, now. I suppose the only thing keeping me from SUSE are the codecs, but I can get them myself.

I’m downloading SUSE 11.2 now, and am excited to install it tomorrow to play. lol.

I love the variety that Linux has, every distro competing, forcing it to evolve.

I do have my concerns, transitioning from a Debian based Linux, to SUSE.

I hear that installing software is a pain in SUSE? Could someone clarify?

Yeh openSUSE does not include codecs by default, but its relatively easy to install them separate.

Eh it can cause some stumbles here and there, but mostly its easy to resolve.

I am now running OpenSuse. I have to admit, as of right now, I am loving it. I am using the GNOME environment. I haven’t really done anything yet, other than browse the web. I have the 11.2 64bit DVD version. Pretty nice.

I wonder how updates will go. Also, Pidgin doesn’t have the facebook option on adding messengers. What is up with that?

Anyone tell me how to get those codecs?

Thanks guys!>:)

Restricted Formats - openSUSE-Community

-various mechanical sounds-

Does not compute…

Where do I find these, restricted formats?

You go to the page that I posted, then you click on the version you have - if you are using openSUSE 11.2, the page would be Restricted Formats/11.2 - openSUSE-Community

It will take you to a page with several “1-click buttons”, choose the desktop environment you are using and click on the button that says its name then follow on screen instructions. Note; if it asks you to change vendor or change architecture, accept these changes.

That would be great if the codecs are included in the purchase price for the boxed set!

I think Dell’s Ubuntu includes some (Fluendo?) codecs with it and I assume that the cost for that is included in the price for the hardware.

Heck if it is in the boxed set I may even be willing to purchase one for that legal aspect!

Could even produce a full-fledged convert >:)

Thanks. I didn’t realize it was a link. lol

Hi
I would think the free mp3 one? I run the codec bundle and dvd player
here, works fine with the gstreamer environment on SLED. On the
netbook, I use packman along with the smplayer frontend and associated
bits :slight_smile:

I don’t think the codecs will be the issue, it’s the integration to the
frontends, players etc that will be the issue.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 2.6.27.39-0.3-default
up 2 days 13:09, 2 users, load average: 0.10, 0.13, 0.10
GPU GeForce 8600 GTS Silent - CUDA Driver Version: 190.18

Actually, I already have the free MP3 one. So I guess I would be intersted if the codecs could EASILY be installed and integrated without having to go off to Fluendo’s site, download and manually install them into gstreamer (not that it is very difficult to do), but to have them listed alongside the other applications and have the system detect and use them without manually changing things.

For example, on my Fedora system I am struggling to get Amarok to use Gstreamer and this MP3 codec, which isn’t working.